Proton Extreme ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahava

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a V32 Proton Extreme Ice a little over a year old. Last month on a trip to the bahamas I had a very loud high pitched hum or howl coming from the 1st stage when tank pressure got to 1000 psi. Definatly 1st stage because it made noise with octo also. If I put my finger on top of enviormental kit I could feel the vibration from the noise. If I pushed down on top where the gel is the noise would be significatly reduced. 2 dives at almost exactly 1000psi. problem occured. In fact it was so loud divers 15ft away could hear it. After that switched reg assy. Any ideas? Thanks

I have a V32 Proton Extreme Ice a little over a year old. Last month on a trip to the bahamas I had a very loud high pitched hum or howl coming from the 1st stage when tank pressure got to 1000 psi. Definatly 1st stage because it made noise with octo also. If I put my finger on top of enviormental kit I could feel the vibration from the noise. If I pushed down on top where the gel is the noise would be significatly reduced. 2 dives at almost exactly 1000psi. problem occured. In fact it was so loud divers 15ft away could hear it. After that switched reg assy. Any ideas? Thanks

My guess is that it is spring harmonics in the first stage HP poppet assembly. It could also be a lubriction issue with the HP poppet stem.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom