ProTune filter in other video editors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does iMovie support ProTune filters and has anyone tried to use iMovie's tools for color correcting?

I use iMovie for all my projects on my 5 year old MacBook Air as it's probably the only editor that will allow me to cut 4k video without any problems. It does not support any LUT's or custom filters, so it's pretty much useless for color correction unless you're fine with the built in filters (which are not very good and again, useless for correcting underwater footage).

I use iMovie to assemble the timeline (add music, sync the video to the beats, cut and assemble to the clips) which it's very good at and then export it as a 4k ProRes file (I think the max quality is 39 mbps). I import that file into Davinci Resolve for all color correction. Resolve seems to be able to handle a single file much better than hundreds of individual clips (on my 4GB, i5 MacBook air).

Works for me, it won't work for you if you're using the iPad version of iMovie because it doesn't have the same functionality as a Mac OS version.

That's an interesting workflow. I like the simple tools for editing and trimming video in iMovie. I'm not sure if Davinci Resolve would run on my computer (iMac 2010, 8GB RAM, i5), but having only one pre-edited file makes sense and might do the trick.

That's an interesting workflow. I like the simple tools for editing and trimming video in iMovie. I'm not sure if Davinci Resolve would run on my computer (iMac 2010, 8GB RAM, i5), but having only one pre-edited file makes sense and might do the trick.

The video won't play smoothly within Davinci but I don't really care since I'm only grading. It's the only workflow I can use for 4k without upgrading my system:) Plus I don't have to buy any software since it's all free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom