Protune or not pro tune that is the question.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qasar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
I made some tests at 30m with and without protune and I'm not sure of the result.
Here is a video resulting of two dives on the same wreck.
During the first one auto WB no protune (this is up to 2.40mn on the movie)
second one is with protune and camera raw.
Both have been color graded with premiere pro cs6 with always the same patern: using the RGB curve to align the "RGB parade" scope, then adding some more contrast and luminosity upon eye request. I never succeed completly to re-dynamise the protune footage.
As if using the same pattern I see a difference between the two and honestly i think I prefer the first one (auto) for such depth.
I also use two Archon lights 1400lum.
Thank for your advice on which one you prefer.
Dive Jassim 19 Apr 13 - YouTube

If you prefer auto, that is your answer.

The debate about what mode to shoot really boils down to which end result you prefer and what it took to get there. Each of us pay attention to different things when we watch video. What is important to me, may not matter much to you and vice versa. How fast or slow it takes a person to edit color affects whether or not it is worth the bother.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

Forgot to mention a few things.

Auto mode footage can be inconsistent. Sometimes good, sometimes yellowish, some times greenish. Protune camraw wb is consistent. Consistently flat, but consistent. I found it easy to edit a weeks worth of footage and get it to look the same.

Consistent color is important to me and I am pretty fast with editing. This is why I prefer protune camraw. For yourself and everyone else, auto mode is easy. If you like the results, stick with it, enjoy your dives, enjoy your videos.

I struggle with this too. I really want to be able to get better color grading with protune/raw, but usually end up liking the auto colors better. Given the the camera battery and storage space lasts longer without protune/raw I'm thinking about just going with auto in in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom