Providenciales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be in T&C for a few days next month. What are some of the must-do spots there? Does anyone have any suggestions for good dive operators? I would love to do a night dive while I'm there, but it seems that most of the ones I've found will only do one with a group of 6 or more divers? Thanks for the tips in advance.

Kristopher

I can highly recommend Flamingo Divers on the south side of the Island. Jayne and Mickey won't hesitate to go the farther -better southern sites like West Caicos. They only take 8 on the boat so book early. They will hold your gear and have it waiting for you on the boat. They will also pick you up if you are staying at or near resort row. They are on vacation till mid October.

Flamingo Divers - Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands

I can also recommend Ocean Vibes and Turtle Divers. Ocean Vibes is also on the south side and I think they hit the southern sites regularly but larger more crowded boats. Turtle divers is on the north side out of Turtle Cove. I believe they usually stay close to the north wall. Decent diving but it can get crowded at the sites as all the resorts use those sites.

Most ops have a minimum for night dives.

There are lots of good restaurants. We enjoyed De Chonch Shack, Tiki Hut, Mango Reef, and Coco Bistro. We didn't have a bad meal anywhere but it can get expensive.

We just enjoyed the beach and snorkeling when not diving.

+1 for flamingo divers. Wonderful service and great experience.

I also used dive Provo, larger boats more people, less variation in sites visited, but not a bad experience.

Must see: conch farm. Not real exciting, but worth seeing. Good for conch related souvenirs.

Caicos adventures dream day getaway was probably the highlight of our trip. This excursion would be the one thing I would say is a must do

Best deal for dinner: food is expensive everywhere. We ended up hitting a grocery store and getting stuff for breakfast burritos and other snacks. The Royal West Indies Resort had nightly 3 course prix fixe menus that were the best deal that we found. $30 a person and the food never disappointed! This was also where we were staying.

I just got back from provo this afternoon. I did three days of 2-tank dives... one day with dive provo and two with caicos adventures. These two were the only dive ops open this month (slow season). I was signed up with caicos adventures for the whole trip, but they had boat problems the first day so they put me on dive provo's boat. Both were great, and I would be comfortable with either.

On my first day Dive provo brought us to Northwest point from the Turtle Cove marina. CA leaves from the south side and we went to French Cay on day 2 and West Caicos on Day 3. While we were at French Cay, the Dive provo boat showed up... so it seems where you end up diving really just depends on where they feel like going that day. I gotta say, the ride out of the south side was sooooo nice. Shallow turquoise water the entire ride with water so clear, you can count starfish on the sea floor while the boat is flying by. We even saw dolphins during the ride and took a few minutes to circle the boat to watch them.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either Dive op. When I go back, I will probably go with caicos adventures again only because I'd rather leave out of the south side. Leaving from Turtle cove didn't make the trip any shorter (I thought it would)... either way you are looking at a 45min boat ride to the dive site.

My favorite site was the Gully at West Caicos.... a neat swim-through section of the reef and a curious reef shark following us around the entire dive made it quite interesting. The other dive sites were great too... just gotta hope the big fish show up. I saw quite a few sharks (nurse and reef sharks), turtles, stingrays, and a huge eagle ray. The structure of the walls were pretty neat... We dove the Crack (NW point), which is a crack in the wall that you can swim between, and Amphitheater (NW point) which has a "scooped out" section. All the walls were steep and deep... they just looked like they dropped forever.

Visibility post-Irene was about 50 ft at NW point and about 80 ft at French cay and West caicos. Should be better when you go if these damn hurricanes stay away. These are all wall dives, and most start at about 50ft, so you are looking at dives in the 60-90ft range. If you stay in that depth range, Nitrox can help keep you from reaching your no-deco limits on your second dive. They ask that you don't go deeper than 100ft, but one guy went down the 130ft (by himself!:crazyeye:) The dives in French cay and West caicos had some current we swam into on our first tank, so our second dives both days were drift dives.

PM me if you have any questions...

Researching this site and information from some of the dive ops in Provo, it appears that there is no shore diving available. Is that a correct assumption?

Although the barrier reef is not miles from shore, it is longer than I would like to swim. Otherwise there is nothing but sand.

You can shore dive at coral gardens or smith's reef but if you want to go deeper than 6 metres you will need to take a shovel! Around coral gardens in the turtle grass there is lots of turtles (funnily enough) as well as lots of little things like seahorses, the odd frogfish, stingrays etc etc. In many ways I prefer it to diving on the reefs.

Dive Provo seems like the outfit of choice this time of year. I'm trying very hard to get over some nasty ear infections. Hope very much to be recovered by the time we go to T&C in 2 weeks.

Thanks so much for the diving and dining suggestions!

Kristopher

+1 for Dive Provo - great service and nice boats.....

Great range of sea life on the dives big stuff and little critters.....

M

Dive Provo seems like the outfit of choice this time of year. I'm trying very hard to get over some nasty ear infections. Hope very much to be recovered by the time we go to T&C in 2 weeks.

Thanks so much for the diving and dining suggestions!

Kristopher

+1 for Dive Provo
Keep your fingers crossed for good weather......Hurricane season......have trip insurance?

Ear infection.......fill a cap of hydrogen peroxide.......put a towel near your ear and lean your head over sideways and dump the HP in your ear. Wait 1-2 minutes till bubbles stop. Repeat a few times a day till gone. Works like a charm for me.....

Back
Top Bottom