PS3 owners with HDMI (or other) issues please read!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I recently began having issues with my HDMI port not outputting video or audio on my PS3. I have checked it on multiple displays in multiple locations, all with the same results. For reference, I purchased my PS3 in December of 2006, shortly after launch, it's a 20GB model.

I contacted Sony customer service and explained the situation, thinking that they might be willing to lend a hand seeing as this seems to be a fairly prevalent issue with PS3s (from what I've read). They responded by giving me a bunch of lame troubleshooting links (I'd already tried all that a bunch of times) and pretty much telling me that if I wanted it fixed, I'd need to spend $149.

I've since been thinking about it and wondering if the problem is widespread enough for a class action against Sony. I know that there are other issues with the PS3 in the form of disc read errors and the like. I'm hoping that if we can get enough people together on this, Sony will be willing to fix systems that obviously have poor components or workmanship flaws in them.

Here is a link to the petition, if you've had issues in the past or are currently having issues, please take a minute to read it and sign:

Sony Playstation 3 HDMI issue Petition

Thanks.

I had a disc read error and was able to have Sony replace my unit at a very minimal cost. It was partly my fault though, I never turned the player off at time leaving the unit running with a disc in it for days at a time.

My xbox ran 24/7 for all of my freshman year of college-as did many of my floor mates (hey, Halo happens)-as this device is essentially a computer it should be able to run for an extended of time. Sounds like poor design/QC/component selection to me.

I guess I've been lucky. I've had no problems with the HDMI output. I bought the PS3 for my relatives and friends kids to use when they're over. But, since they're not over all of the time, the PS3 has basically been on and running Stanford's Folding@home non-stop for the past 3 years. I do remember something about HDMI problems a few years back though.

Back
Top Bottom