Info PSA: Update Shearwater Cloud to 2.10.0+ due to potential for data loss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attack33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just throwing this out there if it helps anyone else avoid the situation I have found myself in.

There is a known issue in Shearwater Cloud releases prior to 2.10.x that can cause data loss of your logged dives (unbeknownst to the end user).

How I unknowingly lost my data: I synced all of my dives (250-ish) to an iPhone and had it synced to the desktop application. About 3 months goes by, everything is fine, but then I had a HDD failure on my laptop. No big deal. New HDD, rebuild OS. I did not DL/install the SW Cloud App, however. I felt it was unnecessary at the time because it was "in the cloud". 3 more months goes by and I got a new phone, but it was Android. Still not concerned because my dive log is "in the cloud". Download the SW Cloud App on my Android and it syncs 52 dives to my phone, where are the other 200 dives? Gone. Forever.

SW CS Response:
""First let's tackle mobile and dives on our Cloud Service issue. We are aware that the pre 2.10.x releases that mobile users(especially iOS users) would be silently logged out of the Shearwater email account, and be logged in as the default Guest account. Unfortunately due to this silence and the fact that Guest accounts are local only with no Sync, there have been a significant number of users where this has caused reports of lost dives. Most of the time this is resolved by simply ensure the user to sign out and back in to correct the apps acount use state. However, this becomes an issue when going to a new device without ensuring that the dives were Synced with our servce and then not available on the new device.

This issue has been resolved as of 2.10.x as we removed the the Guest/default account system. Local non Shearwater accounts are now required to be an action to make and there is no no more fallback if there was a data issue.""

How to avoid this: Update Shearwater Cloud to 2.10.x+ OR double & triple check that sync has worked properly and hasn't silently failed before changing devices.

Back
Top Bottom