PSE 3.0 test photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone could look at this photo and see if the green color can be removed from the scallop's shell. I have PSE3 and cant seem to correct the shell color without changing the rest of the image. Obviously the problem was incorrect strobe positioning. This happens to me on occasion when I am taking photos on the "fly" as it would be. If you feel the photo is junk, please be frank, and if it should be deleted because it presents to many problems or if the image is not correctable please let me know.......Thanks in advance for taking the time.

DD, I think the image is correctable as I'm sure the others will post, SwimWithSharks and other... belive the easiest way would be to try the color correction, but might mess up the other colors, but Layering might be the trick..
If you can Lasso/highlight the portion that you want to change and then just change the color on that part you should be good to go...

As I said, there are a lot of PS experts here and they'll pop-up shortly..

Not much help, but you get the idea... might crop it a little, I love these little O'Smilies.. hehe especially swimming around... LOL.. make me laugh everytime I see them...

I'm by no means an expert but I played with this a little. Selecting different areas and using the channel mixer got me this result. It does not seem natural to me. I believe it would take quite some time to get it looking right. If it were mine I would hold it in my "seconds" pile and move on.

DoubleDip:

Because I drift dive and my buddies do not take pictures, taking shots "on the fly" is very near and dear. I have personal experience with the difficulties you are talking about.

Your picture is not junk, and as fpoole suggests it can be improved. There is a limit to what any shot can produce and you have to feel the time is worth the effort (ie you really like the shot). Otherwise, put it in the "seconds bin" as Yoda suggests.

Since I am learning PSE3 for the purposes of instruction, I am happy to spend some time seeing what I can do. I played around with your shot a little last night.

I am a believer in the Quick and Easy school of photo manipulation. I cheated and loaded your photo into PSCS where I have a macro (action) that runs the relevant auto correction features (autocolor and autolevels) in various combinations and lets you compare the results. PSE has similar functions and they only marginally improved aspects of the image.

PSE has a Quick Fix edit mode (see p27 of the "Getting Started" book that came bundled with your software). This is great Q&E. I especially like the Smart Fix feature that has worked well on a number of images I have tried it on. Unfortunately, yours was not one of them. The levels and contrast feature under Quick Fix is useless on most UW photos IMO and I would not waste a lot of time with it (different story for the levels feature under Enhance>Adjust Lighting). The color section under Quick Fix can make some pleasing color shifts. It improved parts of your image and worsened others.

A tool you should always try is the Enhance>Adjust Color>Remove Color Cast tool. You use the eyedropper to click on parts of the image that should be white, black or gray (see p32 of Getting Started). The software then shifts the color at the select point to remove color casts there, and the rest of the image shifts with it. My ovreall color correction article explains this in more detail. Click around the picture and sometimes you can solve all your problems with this tool. In your case I got the best result by clicking on the top of the scallop, but this threw a color cast on the shell.

Although the Q&E tools did not get exactly what you want on this image, they can imrove lots of images. This image is not the best "beginners example" because it does not respond well to Q&E. You should apply the Q&E tools first to see if they will help. Don't get frustrated if they don't always work.

As fpoole suggests, more advanced PSE work may improve your image. I will play with it some this week and post my results. Be patient, my brother is in town and I won't have time to play with your image some more for a few days.

---Bob

I don't have PSE2 on this computer, but the steps below will also work in PSE3.

It looks like the main difficulty is that you have different lighting in the foreground as compared to the background. If you color correct the background, the foreground goes pinkish.

A somewhat labor intensive way to get around this is to use multiple layers.

Color cast correct the background in the topmost layer. Don't worry about what the foreground in the bottom looks like.

Insert a blank layer below it, then group the two layers together. This should restore the photo to the original colors.

Then with a soft airbrush, with about 30% opacity on the brush, paint onto the blank layer. This will "reveal" the topmost color corrected photo in the painted areas. To correct mistakes, use the eraser, set to brush and low opacity.

---------------

You can also do something similar to this by filling the blank layer with a black-to-transparent gradient. This can help for those wide angle available light shots where the colors have a consistent shift from foreground to background.

There are probably more elegant, and easier methods to work on this photo, but the above tricks hopefully will get you going in the right direction.

I couldn't resist playing with this one some more. I started from scratch again and selected by color several times and each time adjusted the reds and greens in channel mixer. I used the blur tool to soften some edges, get rid of some spots, and blend the background. The final step was to sharpen the whole pic. I like it lots better than my first attempt.

Nice work Yoda! Very real to life. Did you use the Channel mixer in PS or make your individual color adjustments in Hue/Saturation or in Levels?

Charlie:

When I first started looking at PSE, I could not find layer masks. Drat! Making and remaking selections to adjust individual subjects in an image is inefficient, time consuming and frustrating. I dont use clipping masks much in PSCS, I can only think of one project where I ever used this feature. I did not expect to find it in PSE. Thank you for opening my eyes.

In PSE this is called "grouping layers". As you correctly point out, the transparent middle layer blocks out the top layer when it is grouped with the top layer, revealing only the bottom layer. Painting on the middle layer reveals that area of the top layer and allows it to shine through. You get the same effect as a layer mask in PSCS. Cool!

I am sure we have readers of this thread who are not familiar with layers or masks and are wondering what we are talking about. Can you post some screen shots to illustrate?

Double Dip: I have a couple attempts I will try to post tonight or tomorrow. If they are of interest I will post my steps over the weekend.

---Bob

Yoda: Sheesh! If I bothered to read your rollcall post I would know you use PSCS which, unlike PSE, does have a Channel Mixer. I only use the Channel Mixer to produce B&W images and repair dead red channels. You have used it to get a pleasing color correction. I am going to have to try this. Do you remember your settings?

DoubleDip: I took a different approach from the others. After a strategic crop I used a multiply blending layer to darken and saturate the image, a Hue Saturation adjustment layer with a selection mask to get the top of the scallop looking better, and a final color adjustment in a levels adjustment layer in the individual color channels. I got a result I was looking for, I hope you are pleased with it.

DoubleDipModified.jpg

I also tried to lighten it up with a screen blending layer and produced this variation.

DoubleDipScreen_75_op.jpg

I did save a psd and my steps. I will try to post my steps this weekend and hope they are of interest to all.

—Bob

Heheh... looking good Bob... you're really getting into this.. and very helpfull...
My hat is off to you... I'm learning a lot just by watching your posts...

keept it up... I might even learn PSCS, PSE2.0 an PSE3.0... LOL.. but don't get your hopes up...

so much to learn
so little time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom