PT- 015, reliable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amc717

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my C5050 and about to get a PT-015. Would the PT-015 be a realible underwater case? Considering I read somewhere that some PT-015 users had to change the small o-rings (I don't recall specifically which one) because of salt deposits. And they also indicated that they were experiencing leaks in the same o-rings.
That kinda made me worry....I wouldn't want to throw away hard earned money.

I would suggest that you search posts here and on Digital Diver.net for PT-015 comments. As you learned, there have been various problems with this housing over time. Just keep in mind that you're only spending $150. Can this really buy quality??

The PT-015 is an excellent, inexpensive housing for the c5050. I've had mine for a year and a half (100+ dives) The mode dial is the weak spot, but can be easily user-serviced. I do not regret choosing this housing over the more expensive alternatives. Like jcclink says, go over to digitaldiver.net and look around.

My experience so far...had it since end March, done about 50 dives with it plus have no idea how many snorkel/free dives. No problems. Like it a lot. Glad I bought it, didn't even seriously consider the more expensive housings.

Just keep in mind that you're only spending $150. Can this really buy quality??
Yes, and I have proof of it. Like jlyle I have had mine for over a year and half, 100++ dives (most of them shore dives with difficult entry and exit).
amc717, there's no guarantee against flooding - even the most expensive one can. If you're that worried about it get insurance.

Just one person's opinion...
Had a PT-015. A great value if you have good luck with it. I didn't. Had minor leak problems around shafts and have some confirmed hairline cracks in the housing around and through some of the control holes.
I LOVE my C5050 and want it secure.
Bought an Ike housing. Bigger, but more robust than the Oly. Have had it on many deep fresh and saltwater dives. I love it. Seems so much more secure than the Oly PT. The peace of mind alone was worth the extra $'s to me.
Just my opinion...
Good luck with your choice.
Dan

From what I have experienced most problems with the PT-015 start with improper alignment of the camera inside the housing, and not being careful in keeping it clean.
I have about 25 dives on mine so far.

After each dive I put a drop or two of food grade silicone on the shaft seals, remove clean and spray silicone on the housing seals. And, of course keep from banging it around. I've seen guys climb out of the water onto the ladder and the poor housing is
getting beaten like a bumper.

I love mine.

Safe diving!

I also believe camera alignment should be a major concern. Its easy to misalign or torque the mode control, which is where weepage/leakage may occur. It is also important not to over-maintain the o-rings. In particlular, using regular silicone spray on the main o-rings will cause them to swell and elongate (stretch) which will greatly reduce their life. Suggest that you lub them with water or if you must, use only the Oly grease on them, but very sparringly. These o-rings are silicone and can be damaged by petroleum based greases. I was very careful with my first PT-015. It usually took 3-4 trys to get the camera aligned, at least the best it could. On dive #26 the mode control started to weep.

I have about 50 dives on my PT-15. I had some weeping around the mode dial but as JC said, it was from the camera being misaligned and torquing the mode shaft. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I also keep my DEPP insurance up to date....electronics and water don't mix, no matter which housing you use.

Back
Top Bottom