PT-059 leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexkon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
My PT-059 housing appears “wet” inside after the dive. No active leaking, but some drops inside and the silica gel desiccant sacket is full wet. I suspect it can also happen because of condensation… Dive temp (water) 27C, outside temp 35C, housing sits in the car with inside temp 40-50C. Anybody had the same? Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

That is a lot of condensation... When I have had this happen what I found was a single very small fiber on the o-ring where the results were identical. A few drops of water and the desiccant sucking up the balance. In turn I redouble my efforts when inspecting the o-rings given I now realize it takes far less than I thought for a leak to occur.

That is a lot of condensation... When I have had this happen what I found was a single very small fiber on the o-ring where the results were identical. A few drops of water and the desiccant sucking up the balance. In turn I redouble my efforts when inspecting the o-rings given I now realize it takes far less than I thought for a leak to occur.
Thanks. What is the correct way to clean the O ring from dust/sand/hair before applying grease?

I run my fingers over the o-ring which tends to draw most things along to where I stop. Then remove what is there. Though for grains of sand you can feel them as you go along and they should be addressed when you find them.

That said in the end carefully visually inspect the o-ring after grease is applied ensuring adequate lighting if you are doing this say the night before the dive in your room. This step is where I now take my time to get it right.

I should add I used to swap batteries on the camera and strobes between each dive. But I found I can get two dives on a set of batteries, where breaking into an otherwise sealed system is just adding risk. Something to consider.

I run my fingers over the o-ring which tends to draw most things along to where I stop. Then remove what is there. Though for grains of sand you can feel them as you go along and they should be addressed when you find them.

That said in the end carefully visually inspect the o-ring after grease is applied ensuring adequate lighting if you are doing this say the night before the dive in your room. This step is where I now take my time to get it right.

I should add I used to swap batteries on the camera and strobes between each dive. But I found I can get two dives on a set of batteries, where breaking into an otherwise sealed system is just adding risk. Something to consider.
Thanks again. I’m doing this. Sometimes I can find such a microscopic grain that I can’t see it, but I feel it with my fingers. So how to remove this? Especially when the ring still has some grease on it. I thought maybe there is a suggestion for using a sort of cleaner, but from your answer I can understand that all the debris should be removed mechanically only…

As for battery replacement - yes, with such a story, you can’t really replace a battery between dives and follow all the rules, eg drying out the case, cleaning and greasing o ring again etc. I thought about purchasing a stronger battery, but didn’t come along such battery yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks. What is the correct way to clean the O ring from dust/sand/hair before applying grease?
Depending on how often you dive, I remove the o'ring and run it through a lint free paper towel, I then put it in a baggie in which I put a bunch of lubricant in. Move the ring around in the baggie, this seem to but enough, but not too much on the o'ring. Then I carefully pull it out and place it in place. When the o'ring is out I wipe around the inside and outside grooves with a lint free cloth.

Lint free paper kitchen towel works well for cleaning O-rings. If they are really dirty a wash in mild soapy water and rinse in fresh clean water before air drying.

You don't need much grease on O-rings, just enough to make them shiny.

If you have a pet cat or dog, their hairs can be a source of leaks if they get on your camera gear.

Something similar happened to me and I was mortified to find a wet dessicant packet and droplets in the housing. Upon inspection, I found a fiber on the o-ring. It only had to happen once to scare me into really inspecting and caring for the housing more than I actually thought was necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom