PT-EP03 questions - antireflective ring and silica gel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzcatlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
This is my first post.

I just received my E-PL2, PT-EP03 and related paraphernalia. The instruction manual for the housing mentions and depicts an "Antireflective ring" on the front of the lens barrel. I suppose that is to prevent light from the built-in flash reaching the inside of the port and reflecting back. Is that often a problem? Should I get antireflective rings for my lenses?

Also, how essential is the use of a silica gel pack inside the housing?

Thanks!

Jazzcatlee, if you look carefully at the bottom half of this photo you will see the writing on the front of the lens reflecting off the dome (prior to my masking off the lettering):

Surface - Karingal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It can look worse than this & has ruined a few photos for me.

Phil

I cut mine out of a piece of plastic, no real need to waste money on these sort of items?
bruce

Likewise (sort of); I just blacked mine out with a marker pen. I know some people won't want to do that with their lens though.

I actually just cut mine out of an old plastic lens cap that I had been using for one of my Inon wet lenses.
Turned out to be the perfect diameter and i just had to cut a hole in the middle. . .super simple.
The other way of doing it cheaply is with step/down rings. Just get one the size of the port stepped down to the lens filter size and job's done!
Bruce

Jazzcatlee is probably thinking to himself "those cheapskate Aussies" :)

Check your local camera store to see if they sell Cokin filters. Cokin has an adapter ring for their A series filter that is a 40.5mm thread and works with the Oly 14-42 lens filter. It is only slightly smaller than the Oly lens shade. It is Cokin part # A440DX and costs about $10.

The Cokin adapters come in more thread sizes for other lenses too.

Filters for Photographic Lenses - Creative FIlters - www.cokin.co,.k

Back
Top Bottom