PT-EP03 questions - antireflective ring and silica gel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A silly question, even though you are using external strobe, the reflection will still exist and can be prevented by applying this anti-reflective ring in front of the lens?

It's to prevent the light from the camera's 'internal' flash from bouncing around inside the port and on to the front lens. . .

I want to see the problem for myself. I'll know how to deal with it, now. Thanks, all.

I cut mine out of a piece of plastic, no real need to waste money on these sort of items?
bruce
Bruce,

Can you post a picture of your solution? I sometimes get a red crescent with my Olympus PT-046.

Thanks!

The anti reflective ring stops the white writing on the front of the lens being reflected on the ports lens. This can show up in photos.

Silica will help absorb any moisture in the air that may other wise condense on the ports lens with a change of temperature.

Right. But I never used or needed silica in the housings of film cameras. So I couldn't see why it would be different with a digital camera.

Epiphany!

It isn't the camera. It's the strobes. They're synched by fiber optic cables, which are triggered by the flash inside the housing. The flash creates heat which promotes condensation in there. Duh!

As well as the LCD, EVF and other components. Thats why the batteries for film cameras were so much smaller than for most digital cameras.

Phil Rudin

The anti reflective ring stops the white writing on the front of the lens being reflected on the ports lens. This can show up in photos.

Hi Packhorse, I have a Zen Dome Port for the Olympus Pen E-MP1 and I have the same problem of the lens reflections showing in some of the pictures. I do have an anti reflective ring/macro adapter but it's for the standard port. I don't understand how you could attach an anti reflective ring to the dome port because of its shape...:confused:

As well as the LCD, EVF and other components.

Yes, I see.

Next lesson came yesterday evening. Went to the bottom of the pool with my new rig, to work out a manual exposure table, wearing a Cressi-sub mask with a yellow frame. Surprise. The reflection of the mask frame in the LCD viewing window made it nearly impossible to see make out anything on the LCD display. Got used to it after awhile, but I can't be the first person to experience that.

I need a black mask with an oval frame - like in the old days.

The anti reflecting ring goes on the lens not the port.

Ah! Thanks! But I already put a ring on the lens before inserting the camera into the housing so I am not quite sure how this system would work with the Olympus...(The ring on the standard port goes outside the port instead). I will call the store where I bought the camera and housings from.

Back
Top Bottom