Pt Lobos June 25 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friend Larry and I took a day trip to Pt. Lobos on Monday. When we arrived Whaler's Cove was flat calm. We got our gear together and after helping a family get their car and trailer off of the boat launch we started our first dive. The kelp is really thick right now, so we only swam out about 50 yards from the launch before dropping down. The visibility was about 5-7 feet. We swam out on a heading of 30 degrees toward Middle Reef. The visibility improved a little. Maybe 10 feet. We came across lots of Lemon Dorids at first. We started taking pictures and didn't make it out too far. We found the anchor on our way back in. After 74 minutes our dive was complete. The temp was 52 degrees. I got my first picture of a clown nudibranch.
On our second dive we headed back to Middle Reef and I saw the biggest cabezon I have ever seen. It was huge. I also saw a very large lingcod that was a reddish orange color. I haven't seen that coloration before. The second dive was 75 minutes and 52 degrees. I took lots of pictures and here are some of them.

Pt Lobos 6-25-12

We found the anchor on our way back in.

I came across a small admiralty style anchor there a couple of dives ago...same one I wonder?

Can't say exactly where we were, working our way back from Hole in the wall & Lone Metridium. The one I saw was a miniature version of the Breakwater anchor with one fluke extending about 4 to 5 feet up from the bottom & the shaft and cross piece exposed.

Strange coloration on the Lingcod. I've never seen that pigmentation on them either. Great sculpin captures. Nice composition and sharpness. I really need to get up to Mid Cal for some diving :wink:

Yes, Pt. Lobos is hard to beat. Sometimes the visibility isn't that great, but there is so much to see it is definitely worth the trip.
I tried looking up the names of all the nudibranchs. I think I got most of them right. I didn't realize there are several different yellow nudis.

---------- Post Merged at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I came across a small admiralty style anchor there a couple of dives ago...same one I wonder?

I sounds like it is the same anchor. It is close to the middle of the cove.

Lobos update 6/29/2012: (three threads going on about Lobos right now, but I figured I'd post here)

Did two dives at Lobos with my buddies. Swam to the sand channel, dropped down and tried heading over to the "cave"/blowhole over by Coal Chute Cove but we hit our turn pressure just before getting there. Vis inside the cove was nice, easily 15+ feet IMHO. Water temp was It was a bit dark with all the kelp canopy hovering above and there were plenty of krill clouds hanging out... kelp so dense you can walk over to Bluefish Cove :wink:

On dive 2 we swam to the end of the channel, just outside the cove and dropped down and continued heading out at 30°. I'm not exactly sure if we were near the Granite Point Wall, but we made our way around some large rock formations and returned south at 180°. Out at the end of the channel I saw my first spotted ratfish. It hung out with us for a while and then continued on its way. Vis out there was really nice, easily 30 feet+, maybe closer to 40. I'm poor at estimating visibility but it was another amazing day of diving.

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to show... Yesterday I left my point & shoot attached to a rental kayak, but the good people at Monterey Bay Kayak kept it in their lost & found and I was able to pick it up after diving :) Next time... next time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom