PTSD & Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mothball

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Folks,

I was wondering if any new research results and opinions have been concluded about diving with post-traumatic stress, especially from any combat vets and doctors out there who "understand"?

Thanks,

Dave

USMC
CPL/E-4
Desert Shield/Desert Strom

I ran across there orginazations after I posted above. I did a cursory probe on their sites but came up with nothing concerning PTSD or meds. Also, their contact info didn't work for me when I tried. I'll check with the sites more later. I know these guys and gals are more than likely taking some serious meds.

Thanks,

Dave

Mothball,

First link is a news article about the organization that is linked second. Might be worth shooting them an email. Seeing as they are approved through the VA, I am guessing they have some guildlines/knowledge about meds that are allowed and what is not.

From the second link: "Every SCUBA diver is different and will have their own unique experience. Individuals with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) have reported finding tranquility in the water and a relief from their tension and stress for a time. There are documented reports of reduction in depression medications and other improvements in PTSD patients who have taken up SCUBA diving. There is some research being done on Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and PTSD that is initially showing promising results. While it is still too early to come to any conclusions, the initial results are promising. Perhaps one day there will be a scientific study of the effects of SCUBA Diving on PTSD, but for now we can say that initial reports are favorable and it is an opportunity to have some fun, spend some time with friends, and make new ones."

Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project helps disabled veterans overcome challenges through scuba diving | Veterans Today

Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project > Home

Best of luck to you,

Nolan
US Army
Operation Iraqi Freedom

Semper Fi Dave,

Im a Marine diagnosed with PTSD when I got out and have been diving for about a year and a half. Not really taking any major meds except for the occasional antidepressant depending on the time of year so I am not sure how much my situation might relate to yours, however I thought I would post and share cuz hey, you never know.

For me personally, diving is almost like a medication for PTSD in of itself. I think its because there are so many things that you have to pay attention to while diving, and even then there is a risk to always look out for, and while some people might find it stressful, I find it relaxing. Added with the fact that I think diving is generally a relaxing activity anyway, between enjoying the wildlife and the feeling of being on a completely different world. There have been days where I have been stressed and because of that don't want to do anything, especially go diving. But I have found that if I make myself go diving, it makes my day so much better by giving my brain something else to focus on besides all the other things it usually runs around doing. And as I said before, its like going to another world and it feels like all my troubles are miles away and I can just relax and enjoy the view.

As for meds, none of the antidepresants or anxiety meds I have taken have ever kept me from enjoying a dive.

Don't know if that helped with what you are looking for, but I hope so.

Jeremy
USMC OIF

Hi Mothball,

I practice psychiatric medicine and am a Vietnam combat vet (101st Airborne Division & 173rd Airborne Brigade; 06/68-09/69).

Per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition,
Text Revision, (DSM-IV-TR), 17 possible symptoms that can develop following the
experience of a traumatic event are divided into three clusters.

Re-Experiencing Symptoms

-Frequently having upsetting
thoughts or memories about a traumatic event.

-Having recurrent
nightmares.

-Acting or feeling as though the traumatic event were
happening again, sometimes called a "flashback."

-Having strong feelings
of distress when reminded of the traumatic event.

-Being physically
responsive, such as experiencing a surge in your heart rate or sweating, to
reminders of the traumatic event.

Avoidance Symptoms

-Making an effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about
the traumatic event.

-Making an effort to avoid places or people that
remind you of the traumatic event.

-Having a difficult time remembering
important parts of the traumatic event.

-A loss of interest in
important, once positive, activities.

-Feeling distant from others.

-Experiencing difficulties having positive feelings, such as happiness
or love.

-Feeling as though your life may be cut short.

Hyperarousal Symptoms

-Having a difficult time falling or
staying asleep.

-Feeling more irritable or having outbursts of anger.

-Having difficulty concentrating.

-Feeling constantly "on guard"
or like danger is lurking around every corner.

-Being "jumpy" or easily
startled.

Clearly many of these could pose a significant danger to
diving.

All divers must show attention, concentration, decision making
capacity, impulse control and behavioral modulation that are fully adequate to
meet the demands of scuba. These faculties may be compromised in persons
diagnosed with PTSD and treated with mood stabilizers such as the SSRI citalopram (Celexa) and the anti-convulsant divalproex sodium
(Depakote).

Before returning to SCUBA, it would be prudent that: (a)
mental status examination demonstrates the condition(s) to be well controlled;
(b) the diver who is taking medication(s) has been on them for an extended
period and side effects dangerous to scuba are neither reported nor observed
upon careful examination; (c) there are no other contraindications, mental or
physical, in the clinical picture; (d) the diver feels he is up to it and fully
comprehends any additional risks; (e) the diver has been cleared for diving by
his physician and makes full disclosure to the dive op (which likely will want
to see written clearance) and to his/her dive buddy.

Best of luck and thanks for serving our country.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or
imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any
other individual and should not be construed as such. Consult with your
physician before diving.

Grateful today not only for DocV and his detailed knowledge of this condition, but also for all of the combat vets posting here. Doc, I didn't know this about you. May I offer a very belated but heartfelt welcome back. Thank you for YOUR service. This retired squid salutes you all.

I'm also a combat vet with 2 tours with the 173rd that has been
diagnosed with PTSD. Diving has made it better for me to live day to day with out meds. As an instructor I try to reach out to vet and show them the underwater wonders. Talking to people also helps out. I work as a CHT (
certified hyperbaric technologist) so i get to educate people on diving but its what i use for my therapy.​

Hey Folks,
I was wondering if any new research results and opinions have been concluded about diving with post-traumatic stress, especially from any combat vets and doctors out there who "understand"?
Thanks, Dave
USMC
CPL/E-4
Desert Shield/Desert Strom
I'm not an MD but I have worked on diving for vets through Dive Pirates (Dive Pirates Foundation | Bringing Adaptive Divers into the Mainstream Diving Community) and they might have some info or pointers for you. I looked through the DAN (DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association) medical files but couldn't find anything on-topic.

Thanks for serving and best wishes,
Bryan

PS. Just looked at your profile. Your "Certification History" is great, thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:
well i'm not a doctor but i seem to be an expert on PTSD having lived with it 10 years now.
diving has been the perfect therapy for me. i (re)started diving a few years back and after a few dives, PTSD is NOT the demon for me that it was. The key is to find good people to dive with and people who understand what you've gone thru.

Back
Top Bottom