Puerto Morelos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim978

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just booked a resort reservation for a week in the Puerto Morelos area, and hope to dive almost daily (taking just enough time off to preserve my marriage). I am looking for recommendations on dive operations. My research has turned up the names of Wet Set, Dive In, and Aquanauts. Does anyone have an opinion about these dive shops, or suggestions for other I should consider?

Thanks!

My wife and daughter were in Puerto Morelos in mid October for a mother-daughter vacation and dived with Dive in Puerto Morelos for 3 days. They had a fantastic time and appreciated the valet dive services provided. My wife and I had the opportunity to return in mid-December for a family wedding. My own requirements for a dive operator are more stringent than my wife's and daughter's and I do not require the assistance they appreciate. Dive in Puerto Morelos really delivered and I had a great time on 7 dives over 3 days. DM Carlos was great in leading the dives and not overly controlling in his technique. Capt Cornelio had the uncanny ability to stick with the drift diving group. The reef dives had most of the usual Caribbean suspects, unfortunately, including Lionfish. The wreck of the C-56 was increcible with squadrons of Eagle Rays, Southern Rays, Amberjack and other reef fish. The swim throughs were great.

I don't think you could do better than diving with Dive in Puerto Morelos. Enjoy your stay in this laid back location and enjoy your diving.

Best, Craig

PS On our visit in December the water temps were 75-77*. We used 5mm full suits and were quite comfortable for hour dives. Check the water temps and make sure you are appropriately protected.

had 8 dives with wetset last feb. no problems. favorite dive was the wreck.

Craig and Tommy,

Thanks for the info. I will contact both shops. I am especially looking forward to this trip since I will be spending today clearing the 12" to 18" of snow we are expected to get.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I only had to shovel 8-10" yesterday. Where are you staying in Puerto Morelos? We really enjoyed Ceiba del Mar. Lots of good small restaurants in town, friendly people, relaxed atmosphere.

Enjoy your trip, make sure you get to the C-56, maybe even twice dependent on time and number of dives.

Craig

Hi-ScorpioDivers is a good dive co. I just returned from Cancun at xmas where I dove with Alvaro of AlwaysDiving. My wife is a new diver and Alvaro proved to be a fabulous divemaster/instructor. He is VERY patient, understanding, and knowledgeable as well as accommodating to meet all diver's needs. He is also a fine and honourable man whose greatest pleasures in life are family and diving. I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend him. Email him at: chila9@prodigy.mx

OR-I also like William at Aquanauts (right in PM).

I am also headed for Puerto Morelos area. the resort (NOWresorts) told me they have a dive instructor inhouse by name of Victor Reyes who apparently operates as Mysticdiving and takes people to the Puerto Morelos reef. The group of 4 or 5 who would like to dive would prefer 40-50 foot dive which obviously does not include the wreck. Anyone ever heard of this operation, and would we just be better off going to cozumel. I have been there numerous times and know what the diving is like there.
thanks
bob

+1 for Aquanauts. We were at an all inclusive nearby for a wedding and managed to slip away for an afternoon of diving. Unfortunately, we weren't able to go to the wreck since it was inside a prohibited zone during the UN Climate convention, but we did do a couple of reef drift dives that were lovely. The DM was really patient with a newly minted OW diver (me at the time). We were on a very restricted schedule and appreciated that they were able to accommodate us without a ton of notice. Also, the owners shared their homemade passion fruit ice cream with us afterward! Tasty!

I have dove with Mystic Divers many times over the last 7-8 years when staying the Paradisus. Victor previously had a shop located in Puerto Morelos but moved his shop exclusively to an in-house operation at the former Paradisus Resort which has apparently sold to new owners. I have always had good experience with Victor and his divemasters. It is very convienent if staying at the resort. Last time I stayed there the shop cancelled a couple of days of diving reportedly due to choppy seas/weather, but I found another good option located nearby that still went out safely.

Another good option nearby in Puerto Morelos is DiveIn Puertomorelos. I have also used them with the previous owner Kat as well as the current owner Brett. They have been there many years, have good divemasters and provide a fun and safe experience. If staying at the resort you probably have a ten minute $6 to taxi ride to shop. Brett, the owner runs a good shop and is reliable. I have used both of these operators many times and would recommend both.

Just a reminder that Ecodiving Tours, although based in Playa del Carmen, are experienced operators in Puerto Morelos. Check out our prices. You will find them very competitive.

Dive with passion - Ecodiving Tours

Back
Top Bottom