Puerto Plata Dive Ops ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to bring my own gear and only need weights, do any of the operators give a reduced rate for not needing rental equipment?

Most shops charge extra if you don't your own equipment but you can always ask and tell them what you have in mind. Superior Dive in Sosua offers a six dive pass for $190.00 usd and a ten dive pass for $290.00. Good Luck

I highly recommend Superior Dive shop in Sosua, located on the bay at the Sosua Bay hotel......great facilities and staff and great diving oportunities in the bay just 10 minutes away by boat. Their Advanced Open Water course is just $250 and can be completed in just a couple of days....see my recent trip report for more details.

Can any one comment on the differences between Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata? What has more dive sites? Different Variety? What do you expect from each in terms of visibility, aquatic life and coral formations?

I cannot tell you much about dive sites in Punta Cana, I haven't been diving there, but based on my friends the dive sites are OK, specially for new divers everything is interesting. I lived 2 years on the north coast and was diving im Sosua (about 20 minutes from Puerto Plata), I still have the dive sites so you can look here for more info.
The major difference is in the area itself, Punta Cana is a loooooooong stretch of white beach (about 30 miles) with many resorts, while Puerto Plata is much smaller. I don't know where exactly you are planning to go on the north coast.

Hello. I am wondering if anyone has dove in Sosua lately. The lastest post is over a year old. I have a group of 6 divers going down in Oct. We are looking at two different dive shops, Northern Coast Diving and Seapro Divers. Any recommendations?

I'll be diving off Sosua for the first time later in November. All the scuba operators there apparently use very small dive boats without any heads - which I'm not thrilled about. But at least it's some diving rather than no diving at all. I'll report after my trip there.

I'll be diving off Sosua for the first time later in November. All the scuba operators there apparently use very small dive boats without any heads - which I'm not thrilled about. But at least it's some diving rather than no diving at all. I'll report after my trip there.

Any updates? I know that this thread is old, but my husband and I are going to Puerto Plata in December. We're planning to get our AOW certification in October before the trip so that we could maybe check out a wreck or two. I'm trying to decide between Diwa Dominicana, Merlin and Northern Coast.

I came on the board this afternoon to start a thread about Puerto Plata but figured I would resurrect this one instead. I am going with a party of 7 to Puerto Plata this next Spring Break, and of course my son and I are looking forward to his first and my third non-lake dives. We are new divers - 21 and 10 dives respectively - and we expect to go diving probably 2 days, 3 days tops. We will be staying at the Crown Villas, and of course will not be driving our own vehicle that week. Any advice? Anything to not miss - anything that is hyped up but usually does not live up to hype?

thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom