Puerto Plata Dominican Republic DR in February - dive shop and sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbelvadi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am a recent PADI AOW (been to Cozumel and Grand Bahamas, but fewer than 100 total dives) and am going to Puerto Plata, DR in late February 2019. I would like your feedback about the best dive shops and dive sites around PP and Sosua. I don't anticipate having time to travel to the south shore (La Romana or Bayhibe) this trip. I like both shallow and walls but not caves and not particularly interested in wrecks unless both unpenetratve and also lots of wildlife - I'm "in it" for the wildlife, large and tiny, swimming and attached. My specific uncompleted bucket list items are to see an octopus and a whale, large or small, but I will be happy with all the usual corals, fish, sponges, crustaceans, etc.
I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

Dove with Sea Pro just a couple of years ago when staying in Playa Dorada which is in Puerto Plata. They were located in a little hut on the beach at the resort we stayed at.

Scuba Diving in Puerto Plata - SeaPro Divers

According to others we talked to, if you're staying in PP, the dive ops all go to Sosua. We dove 6 days (12 dives) in the 2 weeks we were there. The biggest problem we had was trying to pay for the dives. My buddy and I had credit cards, but because they didn't have the raised numbers, Sea Pro wouldn't take them (they had to have an imprint.) We thought we would just get cash at a bank, but we didn't trust the process because of the way it would have had to be accomplished - I think our CC was involved in some way. Opted to get online and use the website I pasted above. I researched it before our visit but just planned to pay when we arrived. It was cheaper, as we got 10% off (10 dive package) and the people in the hut gave us 2 free dives.

As to the op, they picked up at the resort and were on time everyday. About ½ hour ride to their facility. As they cater to snorkelers also, after everyone had their gear (we left our wetsuits and fins with them to rinse and store) we walked to the beach. Would dive with them again as it appeared all of the ops are similar (except for the walking to the beach part!)

The diving in Sosua is in a small protected cove. You'll only be in the boat a few minutes before entering the water. The farthest site out was about 10-12 minutes - Airport Wall - and was the deepest site we went to at about 75-80 feet. We repeated several sites. Some of the reefs are separated by expanses of sand which is not the most exciting thing for divers to swim across. Not an abundant amount of sea life, but the normal culprits you find around reefs. Saw several seahorses and the indigo hamlet which I don't recall seeing anyplace else I've been. We were there in May and the water temps were anywhere from 79-84º with visibility about 50' and calm water.

Be sure to take the trolley up to see Christ the Redeemer and hope for a clear day when you do. Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom