Puerto Rico- Anyone dove there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at places to get away from the cold and considering somewhere I have not been. Has anyone had any experiences with Puerto Rico. I want to hear the good and the bad. Any recommended resorts and/or dive ops? I did a search on the board and found almost nothing.

Try searching again! There are quite a few threads which have addressed this.

IMO, the best diving in PR is in the southwest quadrant of the island, around La Parguera, and off the west coast at Mona and Desecheo islands. (I think Nekton has a liveaboard that runs to these). Check out www.pargueradivers.com.

Will be diving Isla Mona off the Nekton Rorqual next week. Report to follow.

herman:
I am looking at places to get away from the cold and considering somewhere I have not been. Has anyone had any experiences with Puerto Rico. I want to hear the good and the bad. Any recommended resorts and/or dive ops? I did a search on the board and found almost nothing.

West is best, go to Rincon & dive Desecheo Island. In the summer try to get to Mona Island, go w/ Taino Divers in Rincon.
South has a wall, go to La Parguera & choose between 2 dive shops, both good.
East only has Humacao (Palmas Del Mar) that is decent. I live here & have been teaching diving in PR for a few years so I have dove the whole island. Also a dive trip to Culebra Island would be a good time.

herman:

Hi Herman,

I wasn't certified when I lived there, but I lived in Condado for two years. I did a lot of snorkeling. If you need recommendations for hotels and some restaurants I might can help you out there. There is an awesome Cuban restaurant outside of Condado called Metropol. I'm assuming it is still there. Great food, and great coffee!

I also spent a lot of time on the west coast, Aguadilla, as well as Rincon and Caba Rojo. Mostly surfing spots but not the diving ones. Sorry but can't help you with the diving info.

BTW, when are you going to get together with the NC group again????

Mel

herman:

Parguerra Divers is great. One of the best run dive op's I have come across. The down side is that La Parguerra, the fishing village in which is resides closes up during the week so finding a restraunt is a 20 minute drive.

James

Herman:

I just came back from PR and I was staying at La Parguera. Two Dive shops and one of them Pargueradivers. A good place to eat is called La Casita with good seafood but theres more local places. Parador Villa Parguera:http://www.travelandsports.com/francais/villp667.htm a good place to stay. Also good place to dive is Desecheo Island, Rincon and Culebras Island.

Ricardo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom