Puerto Rico: Stay or go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

envirovannas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

We'll be in PR for a wedding. Where would you head for 3-5 days diving? The best choices close by would seem to Parguera or Culebra, but I keep thinking that much better diving (in terms of reef life/pelagics) might be a cheap plane ticket away a little farther out into the Caribbean. Should I be satisfied with Parguera or Culebra or do you know of cheap flights from San Juan to better dives?

I was in this situation once before and used it as an excuse to head to Saba. Loved it, but want to try somewhere else...

Cheers,
R&K

envirovannas:
Hi,

We'll be in PR for a wedding. Where would you head for 3-5 days diving? The best choices close by would seem to Parguera or Culebra, but I keep thinking that much better diving (in terms of reef life/pelagics) might be a cheap plane ticket away a little farther out into the Caribbean. Should I be satisfied with Parguera or Culebra or do you know of cheap flights from San Juan to better dives?

I was in this situation once before and used it as an excuse to head to Saba. Loved it, but want to try somewhere else...

Cheers,
R&K
I don't know about the price, but it's a short flight from San Juan to Bonaire. Can't do much better than that. Not a lot of Pelagics though. Or Cayman although post-Ivan it might be a little rough still.

envirovannas:
Hi,

Cheers,
R&K

Go to Rincon on the West coast of PR, they dive an island (Desecheo) that is 13 miles out, I recommend Taino Divers. The town is pretty funky too.

Thanks for the suggestion! How would you rank or describe a trip to Desecheo Island? And what about Mono? Too far?

envirovannas:
Thanks for the suggestion! How would you rank or describe a trip to Desecheo Island? And what about Mono? Too far?

Jsut got back from a trip to Desecheo/Mona. I was on the Nekton so I have no info on local dive ops to give but I can tell you about the diving.

Diving was good but not great. I have been spoiled with my destinations so I am a little jaded but I would give it a 7 or 8. Viz was usually pretty good and reef life was pretty healthy.

Mona is a ways and I am not sure how many of the day boats will go out there. Desecheo is a bit closer, though so that is possible. You can get big waves in MOna passage so that is also a consideration.

If you want to leave PR look at the USVI/BVI. There are commuter flights that should be in the 100 - 200 range and lots of great options there, especially in the BVIs like Tortola.
YMMV

I have a freind who loves Culebra. I can't even get him to come to the Bahamas with me. He'd rather dive in PR.

Not to debunk the others whom have posted here, but the diving around various parts is among the best in the carribean! For your extended stay I would say pick some spots to fulfill your dive desires (research on the web) and defiinitely get them in your log books.. my surfing and snorkeling time in my teens there backs that thought up!

Rincon is great topside, cute little town and a few dive ops to choose. There is a small OP on the far end of town as you leave, forgot the name (sorry). I did not get to dive PR but the people and towns were really great. Perhaps you could do a day or tow in PR and then go somewhere else as well! Hmmm... two sites in one trip. Now we're talking!

I have been diving in a few places in Puerto Rico. I have heard great things about Desecheo but I have never been there.

I went on a boat towards Culebra but not all the way there. It was okay but not great.

La Parguera was National Geographic quality diving. Great walls and not nearly as many divers (especially newer divers that kept other dive boats in other locations from going to the best places). If you come the right time of year, there may even be whales. At night, you can check out bioluminescent waters. The area is on the quieter side out of the water. However, if you are looking for diving, this is the place.

Unless you are willing to drive the much longer way around to San Juan, you will need to have sufficient time after your last dive before driving back to San Juan in order to allow for passage over the mountains due to the altitude.

I would go back there anyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom