Puerto Rico vs. US Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ambler6

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the option of travelling in Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands in early December for some diving. Any recommendations on which would be time better spent....I'm a college student so I'm looking for the best diving for my lack of money....ie. would rather do shore dives that boat dives. I'd love some feedback or recommendations of cool dive spots.

ambler6:
I have the option of travelling in Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands in early December for some diving. Any recommendations on which would be time better spent....I'm a college student so I'm looking for the best diving for my lack of money....ie. would rather do shore dives that boat dives. I'd love some feedback or recommendations of cool dive spots.

Is this a trick question??? :crafty: It's just that, OF THESE TWO options, you're going to be pulled in opposite directions. USVI was just listed as #7 Shore Diving dest in Scuba Diving mag (the new issue), so that's good. But I *think* (I don't know, but I think) PR would be significantly cheaper.

I would search around the forums and see what folks say about both...

I've been too both areas and dove primary the british virgina islands and puerto rico, both eastern and western side. There is no question that the BVI gives great visibility especially around Jost Van Dyke and Little Jost Van Dyke. Given a choice I would book a time to the western side of puerto rico between January and March and visit the off shore islands of mona and desecheo. It is there that we witnessed a mother and calf humpback whale breeching and visiting our vessel. I was fortunate to dive off the back of the boat when she started breeching and nearly swan right into her when she came around the stern. That kind of experience is not easily lost.

PR is cheaper and there are tons of things to do besides diving when you are out of water. You really need to pre-plan to take advantage of everything available:Diving, Jungle, Caverns, Waterfalls, Beach Parties (festivals), etc. In fact, it looks like you may be going there in time to take part in "Los Dias de los Santos festivities". That's where we camp out on the beach for a week, just partying and DIVING for our food. The only thing that doesn't come from the ocean is the rice and beer. Alot of fun!! Here is a site for diving http://www.puertoricodiving.com/ I know there is more if you search. I lived both on PR and St. Croix, USVI. With most of my experience free diving in St. Croix (spearing and conching). PR has alot of diversity in and out of the water, you just have to know where to look and always ask the shops of other activities they know about on the phone before you leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom