Pumpkin carvin' @ Whitestar 10/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heyhey, I've never been to one of these before but they must be popular as apparently many quarries do it... anyways...

What time does the "event" start? or do you just show up any time and start carvin' ?

Do you bring your own pumpkin or do you buy them on-site?

I have shears instead of a dive-knife (yeah yeah I'll get one Eventually) , can I jus' bring any household knife I'd normally use for pumpkin-carving? Maybe some enterprising dive-shop could buy a Lot of diveknives bulk-like and have a lil' dive-knife sale there that day eh?

Is the carving actually done underwater?

After your finished do you just place it somewhere in the quarry or are they displayed somewhere above water? (I think it'd be cool to display them on the spiral staircase in the SW corner of the Crusher-Pit)

Someone gonna be grilling? (or is it all byo?)

well... I think thats all I got.... for now... :)

thx,

M

Carving tools:
The tool kits that you can buy at any store work really well. I prefer the kid ones with the tools that are larger, they are easier to use with gloves on and don't break as easily as the smaller ones. The one in the bottom center of the six pictures in the link is the size knife I prefer underwater. I always carry a spare in case I drop one.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've never done this, but sounds interesting

The pumpkin carving is always a great time. Way it has worked in the past, you bring your own pumpkin and you clean out the seeds. At a specific time you can enter the water to carve your pumpkin under water. There is a time limit. Then all of the pumpkins are displayed on shore so a panel of judges can look them over. Rich usually has a number of catagories that the pumpkins are judged on. Last year there were some very nice prizes. I think there were prizes for a lot of the people who carved. The Whitestar web site would have more info.

I should be there, hope to see ya there.

Thanks for the post. I am going to have more information on the website at whitestarquarry.com soon but I am having issues with the site that should be resolved by tomorrow. We will be starting at around 11 and we will have the heaters going and if you want we can bring a grill... we will have hotdogs.... I am still working on the rules but they will be similar to last year.

1. There is no additional charge other than the $10 Diving fee.
2. You can use anything you want to carve with and you should clean out your pumpkin first
3. You have to dive with the lid to your pumpkin... thats the rules... and the pumpkin must have a lid to be judged (unless the artistic nature of the pumpkin carving doesnt warrant it)
4. Once decend you have to turn in to the judges once you ascend whether you are done or not.
5. You can take as long as you want as long as you do it in one dive.

Anyone who dives and pays for diving that day can participate... we have a number of very cool prizes with more to come.

Thanks for the support.

Rich
October 26, at 11ish at White Star.. .

bump bump

Don't forget a big shout out thank you to Midwest Scuba News, Discovery Diving, and Just Add water for their donations of prizes.

The weather could have been better but the visibility and water temp was awesome... everyone who carved a pumpkin went home with a prize!

See you soon
Rich

Back
Top Bottom