Punta Cana, Dominican Republic Diving in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quikster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey looks like the wife and I will be going to a resort in Punta Cana in May any recommendations for places and dive shops that may not be too far away for some diving while I'm there? From the little I've seen so far looks like may La Romana would be the closest location about an hour away?

I’d reach out to Xavier at Art of Diving in PC or Victoria Alexandrova in Bávaro

My wife and I were there (Punta Cana) a few years back for a work conference. At the time we didn't see anything in that area for diving, which led us to break away for a couple of days and head down to Bayahibe. Its a small town cantered around diving and fishing - very no frills. We had some nice dives, including the St George wreck which was pretty cool. DR is not known for being a dive destination so don't get your hopes up for anything spectacular (IMO). But still, a good place to get wet and explore a new area.

My wife and I were there (Punta Cana) a few years back for a work conference. At the time we didn't see anything in that area for diving, which led us to break away for a couple of days and head down to Bayahibe. Its a small town cantered around diving and fishing - very no frills. We had some nice dives, including the St George wreck which was pretty cool. DR is not known for being a dive destination so don't get your hopes up for anything spectacular (IMO). But still, a good place to get wet and explore a new area.
Yeah I understand, but we're going to be there anyway staying at an all inclusive resort so figured may do some day trips or something to do some diving while my wife stays at the resort or maybe both do some snorkeling

The diving out of Punta Cana is bad. The best diving in the Dominican is from the village of Bayahibe on the south Caribbean Sea side of the island. It is only about 40 or 50 minutes from the Punta Cana airport. There is reef diving, wall diving, wreck diving and even a cave dive. We are headed back in Sept for our 4th trip.
I always dive with Scuba Fun, they are a small local dive shop in Bayahibe. John the owner is at the shop every morning, most of his staff are long term employees so they know the dive sites well, and they will store and rinse your gear for you. They dive packages that include transportation for divers staying in the Punta Cana area. https://scubafun.info/

The diving out of Punta Cana is bad. The best diving in the Dominican is from the village of Bayahibe on the south Caribbean Sea side of the island. It is only about 40 or 50 minutes from the Punta Cana airport. There is reef diving, wall diving, wreck diving and even a cave dive. We are headed back in Sept for our 4th trip.
I always dive with Scuba Fun, they are a small local dive shop in Bayahibe. John the owner is at the shop every morning, most of his staff are long term employees so they know the dive sites well, and they will store and rinse your gear for you. They dive packages that include transportation for divers staying in the Punta Cana area. https://scubafun.info/
Thanks, I’ll check it out. I’ve heard South side is much better and not too far away

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom