Purchased a used reg - service first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:) I purchased a used reg (US Divers) from a local dive master. Hooked it up to a cylinder. Works like it should on land. Should I have it serviced before diving with it? How much should I expect to spend for servicing?

You should have it looked at by a USD professional. Is it just the first and second stage or is it the whole show?

If it's the whole show (Octo, console, etc.) then you can expect to pay between $45.00 (this is what I charge) and up to 100 smackers from the rip off places. If it's just a first and second stage I would say maybe $30.00 would be reasonable to have a professional look at it, change out some rings and seats and assure you it's going to work underwater.

Cincy, It's the whole show. $45 is not bad so I guess I'll have it done. I assumed that if it worked on land it would work underwater. But I suppose that assumptions aren't to smart in diving.

Remember that you can tell if the reg will give you air on the surface but you need to get it underwater to make sure it will not give you water also.

I suggest you make sure both you & the tech understand what is to be done and at what cost. It sounds like Cincy does a reasonably thorough job, but others might simply do a bench test without disassembly and inspection of seats and o-rings.

You might also want to find out from the DM what service he has had performed and where. Then talk to the tech and have him do the inspection.

and check the Intermediate Pressure.

If it works ok in the pool, and the IP is stable, go diving. But do a couple of "weenie" dives with it first, just to make sure its ok.

You could have it overhauled, but unless you know and trust the dealer, you might get back a reg in worse shape than when you took it in!

Genesis once bubbled...
and check the Intermediate Pressure.

If it works ok in the pool, and the IP is stable, go diving. But do a couple of "weenie" dives with it first, just to make sure its ok.

You could have it overhauled, but unless you know and trust the dealer, you might get back a reg in worse shape than when you took it in!

Speaking of intermediate pressure checkers. Go to www.grainger.com and build yourself one for about $3.00 max. I have built a half dozen now. One for the shop, truck, house, quarry, toolbox, etc. If you need an adapter to fit a lp hose I should have dozens of those laying around for about .50 cents or less a piece. Oh yeah, they're solid brass and tempered glass not 100% plastic so if you screw up in the first stage it won't blow up.....I made this fatal error one day in the shop:D It's all brass from now on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom