Purchasing a wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AS you probably already noticed there is a huge choice out there.

My two favourites at the moment are Oceanic and Waterproof. Is there and LDS near you that stocks various types.

Fit is the most important consideration for you, so I would check if they fit well

Just get something that fits. I have two Henderson suits and like that both very much. They were good for the price.

definetly try things on, test dive them if you can. I'm partial to Pinnacle because of how great they fit me, your mileage may vary.

I use a 7MM Henderson (Hyperstretch).
Also like the 5/3 Hooded Vest when it dips below 60
Dove with a two piece farmerjohn for years.
I am FAR more comfortable with the one piece and hooded vest.
Comfort is everything. Snug fit is important.

Lastly,
http://www.hotsuits.com.au
Check out the heated kidney belt.

Farmer john is probably the least practical and comfortable option--unless you dive in water so cold that you NEED the 14 mm thickness in your torso.

Much better to get a one-piece 5 mm or 7 mm suit and augment it with a hooded vest and/or a shortie for when you need a little more insulation. Then the shortie can also be worn by itself on the occasions you get to dive in really warm water.

My opinion is certainy not universal, but is common.

Typically, a cheap suit will fall apart at the seams and tear at the wear points more quickly than will a good quality more expensive suit, but this is subject to how often you use it and how severely you treat it as well.

theskull

Wanadive,

My first question has to be, "Where do you wanadive???" :D
. . . :devil_3: sorry, couldn't help it!

the K

If you are hard to fit, henderson hyperstretch is well worth it. Easy to put on, and not tight on the chest or belly.

I just got a brand new one off ebay for about $100 plus 15 sh/handling for a 5mm/7mm.

I totally agree with avoiding the farmer john if at all possible. I usually dive in a 3 mil full suit in the summer. I did a winter dive and needed something warmer and the dive op put me in a 7 mil farmer john. As previously pointed out, that is 14 mm around your torso. The amount of extra weight I had to add just to get down was astonishing (compared to the 3 mil). Get something to keep you warm, by all means, but try to keep that neoprene down as much as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom