Purchasing an Oxygen kit and where to get O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Red Cross Administering Emergency Oxygen class is listed under the professional rescurer courses, so I suspect that it is usually reserved for someone that has a duty to act through some position of responsability. When I've been involved in teaching Red Cross classes the oxygen administration has always been a supplemental class to the Emergency Response course. I have never seen it offered as a stand alone class.

I am a C-PRO (CPR for the Professional Rescuer) and o2 Admin. instructor for the Red Cross. The o2 Admin. course is supplemental to that class and not the Lay Responder class. However, to my understanding the good sam laws in most states cover the lay responder within the scope of their training. If the lay responder is o2 trained and acting within the scope of that training (including DAN o2 courses) they should be covered.

Soooo..

Man colapses at work and turns blue and one of the other employees gets the oxygen kit (free flow mask only) and puts it on the casualty. That employee is now negligent per your interpertation of California law, right?

I can not tell you what California Law is, in Michigan you Can not administer O2 (its not readily available to administer Either) without the proper training/perscription/or license.

In Michigan The Health Care Provider First Aid training for Red Cross and AHA does not include Oxygen training, however, it appears in some states that they may receive that as an add on.

As stated in my posts, you need to check Your own state laws on what is/is not acceptable.

I also see some people talking about using welding o2 for medical purposes. Im not saying they are wrong in thinking outside the Box.....however, if they cause more harm then good, they Could be (interpreted by a shady lawyer) considered negligent....hence not covered by good Samaritan.

Also, Im talking legal responsibility and culpability, not what you should/should not do if put in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom