Purchasing first time equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clifty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys

I’m currently looking into purchasing my first set of diving equipment (I have nothing at the moment, as I have just been hiring when I needed to). And was wondering if you could help advise me on what it is that I should be looking for in particular with regards to the make, if its worth purchasing a package or buying things separately?

Could you guys recommend an English based company? Or would it be better/cheaper to purchase it from an overseas website maybe?

I am based in the UK and intend on heading overseas to warmer climates to continue my dive career (the DMT and the instructor course). I’m currently at AOW, and will do my EFR and Rescue in the next couple of months in the UK.

Generally, imp just wondering if there is anything that I should be thinking about now, that I might not need at the moment but will need whilst I do my DMT and Instructor Courses that I should consider when purchasing my new first time equipment!?

Cheers guys for any advise.

:happywave and welcome to :sblogo:

the most basic problem i can think of is the "live in the uk - heading to warmer climates - dive career - dmt & instructor course"

reason being you might find when you got to shop A they want to you wear and promote shop A equipment that they sell - if you dont have it, you most prob will be expected to buy it

if you are currently diving in the UK i would purchase equipment for that type of diving.... cold water regs and drysuit is my thoughts.

cheers and good luck,,.... like wetsuit sizing, one size does not fit all and nor does one choice of dive equipment

cheers

So maybe its a better idea to wait until i know where i plan on doing my divemaster course before i start to invest in any equipment!?

Cheers for the fast response!

That depends too. You may be offered only a limited amount of brands and styles. Where you doing your course?

since you are based in the UK go with gear that will do well in the cold water, regs, etc.

and to go on and open up a can of worms ...

for a BC get a BP/W set-up, it is by far the most versatile rig and will work well no matter what kind of diving you are going to do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom