Purchasing Own Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a new diver. I got my PADI OW in July and my AOW last weekend. I have a dive trip planned for the end of Sept and will be diving in the local quarries most weekends until then. Obviously mask, fins, boots and snorkel are first. Then I got the Henderson Thermprene 7 mm suit (for semi-cold water). It is more stretchy than a regular suit but not as stretchy as the hyperstrech (so it holds up a little bit better).

I also got a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Dive Computer Console with compass and QD. There are different opinions about whether to wait a while to get a dive computer. The way it was explained to me...as a new diver you are more likely to make mistakes, accidentaly going deeper than you mean to, missing a safety stop, etc...and a dive computer will be your extra buddy making sure those things don't happen. Plus, if you want to get a reg set up (my next purchase) you have to buy the console anyway, so you may as well get the computer to do two birds with one stone.

SNorman:
$5-10K? That's a bit steep. Reminds me of the time my friends and I were told we "needed" to spend $5K+ to take pictures underwater. Then we went diving and took pictures with a $400 cannon digital :D

That's what I was thinking. Really I think I can get the BC, regulator, gauges, and wetsuit for maybe 1500 with a discount which isn't bad at all.

jadams:
I don't think brand name is too big a deal, unless you choose to make it one. Zeagle, Mares/Decor, Sherwood are all good stuff. Purchasing online will save you money now and cost you money later. My LDS is higher than most online shops, but he services all the equipment free of charge for the life of the equipment. I live in the midwest and only get in a few dives a year. Each year, before I start diving, I can go to his shop and jump in the pool with my equipment. If I encounter any problems, he fixes them free of charge (I pay for any parts needed, but labor is free). That's worth a lot to me, more than the difference in price I paid for the equipment. Also, he knows my equipment as well as I do. If/when I decide to upgrade, he gives me a good price on trade or helps me get a good price for third party sale of my used equipment. Additionally, he knows what I need to dive local & the tropics. Lastly, I can try out anything in the shop free of charge. Work with your local dive shop, try out the equipment in the pool and make a decision from there. A good working relationship with your local dive shop is worth a lot in terms of money, time, and confidence in your equipment. I agree you should have your own regs and bcd, especially if you plan to dive 3rd world countries in the tropics. I've seen some really crappy rental equipment in the Bahamas and Mexico. Weight integrated is very nice and so is pnumatic dump bcd (you hit a button at your waiste and all the air dumps at once, on your way to the bottom, no delay at the surface and no tying up one arm above your head dumping air). Back float vs jacket is a personal decision. I like jackets, some like backfloats, no big deal one way or another. As for ease of packing for travel, all dive gear is bulky, some a little bulkier than others, but again, no big deal. That would be among the last of my considerations. I'd rather have a big ol' bag full of stuff I like and am comfortable with than a slightly smaller bag full of stuff that's uncomfortable or that I just don't like. Suits are easy and cheap to rent. Try a few, see what you like and then decide if you want to buy or not. I've been diving 11 years and still don't own one. I have family in the keys like you do and don't need one there. Hard to get excited about muddy bottoms and bare rocks at home once you've seen the keys. I do dive some at home, but in 11 years I haven't paid enough in wetsuit rental to pay for one. Good luck in your quest for the right stuff and welcome to the sport. Be safe and have fun!

Thanks for all the great info! I think I'll probably go through the dive shop like you said because they're very helpful and will give a pretty good discount for a package deal. I think the BC, regulator, and gauges are a must to have and then everything else I can just rent like the wetsuits. I think it will be a lot easier to get good at the sport with my own stuff, especially controlling my buoyancy and not having a stupid weight belt. I'm pumped to try and dive in the Keys. I've been going down there ever since I was a kid and have never dove once because I just got into the sport. Diving in the Turks and Caicos and then coming to Michigan was a pretty big eye opener, but you still can see some cool stuff.

That's right, the only difference would be the type of thermal protection used, and of course fresh water vs salt water for buoyancy changes. Once the decision is made on a BCD, then he can begin to fine tune his buoyancy with whatever his choice is for thermal protection.

Here is my take:

When I got certified my intent was never to purchase equipment as I had only planned to dive once or twice a year at vacation type destinations. After I spent my first week diving in the Caribbean as an OW diver I realized two things: I loved diving and would be doing it much more than once or twice a year, and second, the equipment I had rented from different local dive op’s sucked compared to what I had trained withwhen taking my OW course.

For me it was a no brainer. I wanted my own equipment-immediately. Although I had not tried every brand/style out there I did know what my personal requirements were and what I would be happily content with. So I bought it. Sure, I may love a BP/W more if I tried it but I haven’t so I am not miserable not knowing what I don’t have. Furthermore, I am not into image so that rules out a lot of products I will never need to purchase.

I want to be a better diver-IMO having your own equipment, or at least consistently renting the same, quality equipment, speeds up the learning curve. When you are comfortable and confident with the setup you have you can focus more on technique without as much stress or distraction. I also wanted a computer so I figure why waste a dive or two each trip trying to figure out how each brand/model computer works that the different dive op’s supply as rentals.

Again, my opinion, but renting equipment to see what you really want before making that "big purchase" should come after a certain level of proficiency. Only an experienced diver will really be able to tell/notice some of the subtle differences-especially in higher end equipment. Second of all, if you are serious about diving chances are you are going to end up owning several redundant pieces of equipment anyway. So if you buy equipment now and realize later you should have bought something else instead, chances are you going to feel that way regardless of your selection.

Just my opinion,

‘Bob

kYBOSH27,
I just bought a Sherwood Avid for $239. < which I thoughjt was a great price>.
check out leisurepro.com

I am a new diver myself and I can not stand renting and borrowing gear. I have slowly been working on getting my own. I bought a BCD off of one of the members here, and I took MMDiver up on some of his "make me an offer" deals. I got an instrument set from him at a good price. I submitted an offer for a reg set, but I think I might be to late to get the deal, if so I will keep shopping. Wet suit is the next on my list.

Duplicated the post...

Back
Top Bottom