Purchasing second hand equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross Be

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi- I was just trying to purchase some diving equipment on ebay but don't really know what I am looking for. what is the difference in a starter bcd and pro bcd? what is anyones advice on buying equipment for the first time?
Thanks(I am open water level looking to use the equipment to achieve divemaster)
ow and what sort of price should you expect to pay for a complete set?

If you don't know what you are looking for (or at) you can easily not end up with gear you like or even gear that works, very well or at all.

Prices on used gear depend on the condition of the gear, the desirability of that particular kind of gear in your area, and the hubris of the seller.

Wait until you know what you want/need.

Most of the impulse buys I made right away were quickly replaced by the "right" gear. Renting gear is a good way to figure out what works for you. Once you know what you're looking, feel free to buy used. By then you'll have a better idea of what's a good deal and what's not.

The problem you'll run into with eBay/Craigslist is that you'll need to get the gear serviced which adds to the price of what used to be a good deal.

Hi- I was just trying to purchase some diving equipment on ebay but don't really know what I am looking for. what is the difference in a starter bcd and pro bcd? what is anyones advice on buying equipment for the first time?
Thanks(I am open water level looking to use the equipment to achieve divemaster)

don't know what you are purchasing "used".... but it could be that it hasn't been used in several years.

and you don't know what condition it's in. So your best best would be to have it serviced before using.

Figure the regulator service will run you about $60 in labor and $60 in parts at your LDS. (prices will vary up/down a little from that.
To have the BC serviced (which is usually only a checkout and maybe a power inflator rebuild) will run $15 to $65 depending on what they do. (again, numbers are only estimates).

So considering you've got to easily spend about $150 bucks getting used gear serviced or checked out, factor that into your gear purchase pricing. I mean for an extra $50-$100 bucks on top of that you might be able to buy all of that new for example and avoid the hassle of service and issues and get a warranty and have that 'new gear feel' :D

Summary: know before you buy and include all price factors.

Ross Be:6248958:

If you dont know what you are looking for you need to talk to your LDS or mabey talk to the instructor that you intend to train with. They should be able to give you a better idea of what to buy.

No difference between a pro and non pro BC. None. Regs I'd look for sealed 1st stages and adjustable seconds. recently serviced or you will have to get them done.

As a Noob myself... I would like to give the OP my perspective on the Subject.

I typically ask myself some questions before I buy anything used, that I have to depend on to work.

• Do you really want to put your life in the care of second hand equipment, which may or may not work?
  • Do you have the liquid funds available to service the used equipment to a standard that you are comfortable with to trust your life with?

I completely understand that a lot of equipment is expensive but personally I feel my life is worth more…

If you just got your OW Cert and you plan to go to DM you have plenty of time to build up your stash of equipment. There are so many different types of equipment available, that you can spend several weeks researching each type of equipment just to find out exactly what you think you want to finally realize that’s not what you need. Don’t rush out and settle for something second hand when you can spend a little extra time figuring out what’s best for you and your wallet, there’s no real rush. This board has plenty of very knowledgeable (and helpful) people that you can bounce ideas off of that can help you narrow down your selection in addition to your local LDS, who may have seen you in the water and would be able to guide your purchases to your specific needs.

Take your time spend your money wisely and enjoy the ride.

I tried the same thing when I started outfitting myself and the numbers just did not add up when it came to used equipment. You need to get this equipment serviced after you buy it to be sure it is in good working order, add this to the cost plus a voided manufacturers warranty $$$ down the road. Rent the equipment or buy new, your LDS can steer you straight until you are familiar enough with the equipment to buy on line.

As a Noob myself... I would like to give the OP my perspective on the Subject.

I typically ask myself some questions before I buy anything used, that I have to depend on to work.

• Do you really want to put your life in the care of second hand equipment, which may or may not work?
  • Do you have the liquid funds available to service the used equipment to a standard that you are comfortable with to trust your life with?

I completely understand that a lot of equipment is expensive but personally I feel my life is worth more…

If you just got your OW Cert and you plan to go to DM you have plenty of time to build up your stash of equipment. There are so many different types of equipment available, that you can spend several weeks researching each type of equipment just to find out exactly what you think you want to finally realize that’s not what you need. Don’t rush out and settle for something second hand when you can spend a little extra time figuring out what’s best for you and your wallet, there’s no real rush. This board has plenty of very knowledgeable (and helpful) people that you can bounce ideas off of that can help you narrow down your selection in addition to your local LDS, who may have seen you in the water and would be able to guide your purchases to your specific needs.

Take your time spend your money wisely and enjoy the ride.

LOW, this is one of those often quoted but totally bogus comments often used to dissuade divers from buying used gear. Not only do I dive used gear but actually, I only trust used equipment. Here is the thing, equipment is new only once, on it's first dive and after that it is "used". Until I have had a piece of equipment on several dives, be it a new out of the box reg or a trusted reg that has just been serviced, it is not trusted until it has some bottom time on it. Now granted you know who used it last but really, what is the difference in a freshly serviced reg the you have been using and a freshly serviced reg from someone else. Nothing I can think of, for all practical purposes, new reg is simply a reg that has been serviced for the first time. I much prefer to know who the reg tech was than who dove it last. There is simply nothing to wear out in a reg other than the normally replaced parts during service. This is true of a high end modern reg or a 40 yo reg. Is it more likely that during service a reg from an unknown user it is found to have been abused, very possible but that is what a good service is for, the determine the internal condition of the equipment. My point here is that there is no valid safety argument to buying new vs used, assuming the used gear is serviced buy a good tech before diving.

That said, Ross, I do discourage new divers from buying off eBay and the like but not for safety reasons but rather for practical reasons. You can get some great deals but you can also get some very bad ones as well. To be successful on places like eBay you need to understand the gear, what models are easily serviced and what are not and what the service cost are going to be. Some regs are impossible to find parts for or can be worthless due to internal damage from a previous owner. There is no way to determine this via the web, you must have it in your hands to do so and it's sad to say but just because the listing says "great shape, just serviced and ready to dive" there is no guarantee that it actually is...which is why we all recommend having the reg at least checked by a good tech before diving it. A much better alternative is to check the local sales papers for equipment you can actually look at. If possible take someone experienced with dive equipment or better yet arrange for the seller to meet you at a dive shop of your choosing for the tech to give it the once over. You can get some great deals buying used and done correctly there are no safety reasons not to buy used. Just plan on spending another $75 to $175 servicing the gear.

Not mentioned here:
Hook up with a local group of divers (hopefully there is one), see what they dive, ask questions, ask to borrow or trial. After a while you should be forming a greater idea of your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom