Purchasing/selling equipment in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alejanca

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone,

Hope all is well there. There are items I'd like to get rid of to free some space and others I"ll need for local diving. New to the country so I'm looking for suggestions how this is settled here to make sure buyer/seller will receive the item/money. Any recommended platform? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ale

There's a couple of pretty good Facebook pages for selling stuff. I'd start there, the turnover seems quite quick. Try something like "Scuba Sales NW" on the search, FB is down at the moment so I can't confirm the name at the moment.

Rich

There's always going to be an element of trust unless you can go and pick the gear up physically and hand over cash. I've bought and sold lots of stuff through facebook groups however and never had a problem. Divers are a fairly honest bunch :wink:. Handy thing with Facebook is you can check out the sellers profile and previous adds to see if they are legit.

I advertise on here and do buyer collects, or meet at a dive location , obvious but just trying to help. (Not selling any ali40,s are you?)​

There's a couple of pretty good Facebook pages for selling stuff. I'd start there, the turnover seems quite quick. Try something like "Scuba Sales NW" on the search, FB is down at the moment so I can't confirm the name at the moment.

Rich
There's always going to be an element of trust unless you can go and pick the gear up physically and hand over cash. I've bought and sold lots of stuff through facebook groups however and never had a problem. Divers are a fairly honest bunch :wink:. Handy thing with Facebook is you can check out the sellers profile and previous adds to see if they are legit.
Many thanks. I should dig out and recover my old FB account. I'd assume FB doesn't take care of payment and shipment, am I right? So usually the buyer pays and seller ships, or the reverse?

Have had a couple parcel lost during my first year in the UK. Lucky I got refund from the shop, yet just wonder how both sides are protected. Cheers.

I advertise on here and do buyer collects, or meet at a dive location , obvious but just trying to help. (Not selling any ali40,s are you?)​
Thanks. And no, I'm not selling any ali40. :)

Thanks. And no, I'm not selling any ali40. :)
might help if you find a local club? The bsac lot are everywhere and are good a networking with the other branches, plus they usually have their own club boats, where are you based now? Your new to the uk right? If you want to know how it works on the uk diving scene I’m happy to give some advice.

might help if you find a local club? The bsac lot are everywhere and are good a networking with the other branches, plus they usually have their own club boats, where are you based now? Your new to the uk right? If you want to know how it works on the uk diving scene I’m happy to give some advice.
Yes new to UK and based in London now. Googled briefly for dive club and seems there're a couple in the SW. Will explore later.

Haven't yet dived properly because of the cold winter. I'd assume it will be more popular when the summer comes, mainly in south west England? Cheers.

Many thanks. I should dig out and recover my old FB account. I'd assume FB doesn't take care of payment and shipment, am I right? So usually the buyer pays and seller ships, or the reverse?

Have had a couple parcel lost during my first year in the UK. Lucky I got refund from the shop, yet just wonder how both sides are protected. Cheers.

PayPal with Buyer Protection option is the best way to protect yourself. Have the buyer pay the additional fee for Buyer Protection.

Yes new to UK and based in London now. Googled briefly for dive club and seems there're a couple in the SW. Will explore later.

Haven't yet dived properly because of the cold winter. I'd assume it will be more popular when the summer comes, mainly in south west England? Cheers.
If your used to drysuit some of us dive all year round. I’ve already been in the sea this year in the English Chanel from a dive boat, the most popular place for you apart from a couple of local shallow quarries on the outskirts of London would be stoney cove, they have training, gas filling, food and even a pub there. most people dive from April - October,

Best of luck the uk dive scene is fairly varied.

Back
Top Bottom