Pure Oxygen in Aluminum 80 - How to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard,

I own an aluminum 80 (currently configured for SCUBA, with a SCUBA valve) that I hope to use as part of an emergency oxygen supply, by having it hold pure oxygen.

Is this possible / advisable? :confused:

Would this cylinder need to be cleaned, and the valve replaced with an oxygen compatible valve?

Thanks!!

Yes, it can be done. Most all scuba valves and tanks can be cleaned for oxygen service. Your local dive shop should be able to do the cleaning for you. Around here, a VIP, O2 clean, and fill should be around $50-60 USD. Your LDS might want to see Nitrox or Emergency O2 Provider certification before filling with O2, to be sure you understand the hazards of oxygen. Also, you may not get a full 3000 psi of O2 in an aluminum 80. Some shops might not fill above 2400 psi due to equipment limitations or other reasons. If that is true, you may not get the maximum benefit of near 80 cubic feet of gas.

You also need to use a regulator set up for O2 service. Your dive shop should be able to handle this too. It can be done with a fresh rebuild and special cleaning techniques.

I would ask at the local shop, and see what they can provide. Good luck.

Everybody has hit the nail on the head, however you are in Taiwan, and we are in the United States. You would be better off asking around the dive shops in your area about this, or maybe someone from your area will chime in. Different countries, different regulations.

is it necessary to replace the valve on the cylinder, or is there an adapter that would go from DIN to the pin type adapter commonly found on emergency O2 regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom