Purulent effusion post diving , how long to clear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batman diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i got a reverse squeeze a while back and my inner ear is full of mucous now , im on anti-bio-tics , sudafed and cortizone to get rid of it all , anyone know how long it will take to clear , got a big trip planned for two weeks time ... anything else that can speed up the mucous moving out of inner ear .... can i dive with mucous in my inner ear ? doc wasn't exactly helpful ....PLS been looking forward to this trip all year :shakehead:

Some people say that chewing gum helps drain the middle ear, and (as long as it's sugar-free) it can't hurt anything to try it.

It's probably reasonable to base your decision to dive on symptoms. If your ear still feels stuffy and full, and if you can't pressure your middle ear on land, it probably isn't worth trying to get in the water.

i can pressure them on land fine , im just feeling a tad deaf from the stuff in my ear and have a bit if tinnitus every now and then :) , i guess i can only but hope :) gonna go buy some super strong sugar free gum thanks

I have had reverse block, pain, and liquid (mucus, blood, or whatever it was) in the inner ear. It took 3 months to heal.

The over the counter medicine I use is Clariton. It is designed to dry up liquids. I also use it prior to diving.

I personally would not dive with liquid (especially mucus) in my inner ear. When decending and ascending the eustachian needs to be open and able to pass air back and forth. If you have mucus in your inner ear, you will also have it in your eustachian tube.

You will NOT be able to clear your ears and will risk permanent ear damage.

Claritin does not dry up fluids. Claritin is an antihistamine, and prevents the release of histamine in the presence of allergens. Histamine causes tissue edema, among other things. But nothing about claritin will dry up fluid which is already present in the middle ear.

The presence of persistent fluid in the middle ear is suggestive of, but not diagnostic of, some degree of persistent obstruction in the Eustachian tube. But the ability to pressurize the middle ear is far more accurate than the presence or absence of fluid, in terms of determining Eustachian tube function.

What is really concerning about this case is that the original injury was a reverse block. They're uncommon, as the rising pressure tends to push the Eustachian tube OPEN (whereas on descent, pressure gradients tend to hold it closed). But the only way to diagnose a reverse block is to descend and then ascend . . . and once you're at depth, you're committed to ascent, no matter what damage you do to your ears in the process. For this reason, I'd be fairly conservative about putting myself in a position where I might have to find out that I'm not fully recovered.

I have always been told that antihistamines dry you out and they seem to do just that with me. Claritin drys up my sinuses up and makes my mouth dry. I find it hard to believe that antihistamines do not dry you out, when I have experienced it many times over.

I also read that antihistamines dry you out it in many, many online references. Here is an example.

"Antihistamines are effective whether you are suffering from excessive sinus drainage from a cold or allergies. Antihistamines are made to dry you out, and they are effective at that. Not only will they dry out your nose, but they can also dry out your mouth and eyes as well"

I plan to approach some local professionals and find out what their knowledge is regarding antihistamines and the drying of liquids in the head. I would like more opinions.

ps: I use Claritin before diving to dry up liquids. I did not use anything when I had the liquid in my inner ear. I allowed it to be absorbed naturally over time

I don't actually know if just anybody can access these articles, but THIS essay on antihistamines clarifies the situation. Older, less selective antihistamines can have anticholinergic effects, and cause dry eyes and dry mouth, as well as sedation. The newer drugs, of which Claritin is one, have far less of this type of effect, and therefore do not dry secretions and do not cause sedation.

i can feel it getting better , anti-histamines block the receptor sites were your histamines bind there bye preventing inflammation , so id think they would help with decongestion as the keep the airways open , what do you guys think of a steam room ? will it reduce the problem or increase it

Antihistamines can definitely aid with congestion, if it is histamine-related; they don't help colds, and probably don't do much for barotrauma, unless it is being augmented by underlying allergies.

ja it was from allergies , i battle allot , trying everything and anything now to get it away in time :)

Back
Top Bottom