Pushing out a little further beyond the Hill 400 Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillier tunnel is no big deal. I scooter through it in a ccr, sm bottles, and stages. It narrows down towards the end but not a ton.
Double lines is very similar to parallel lines except with a few lower areas. There are a couple of restrictions, but nothing major. I've only dove it a few times, but my wife and I plan to go back soon if I can ever get away to dive. I've only done it in sm. I only dive bm and ccr for the most part nowadays. Next time we go I'm diving bm as opposed to ccr in order to be slightly more streamlined my first dive back there in a while.
I don't like skid row. Low and full of clay and silt. I went back there only once on ccr. I was a new ccr diver and my buoyancy was still slgihtly less than perfect. Neither of us had a clean dive on that line and it wasn't that much fun dealing with low vis. I think in OC or now that I'm more sqaured away on ccr it wouldn't be as bad. But honestly I'm not a fan of tight slity cave. I don't enjoy the stress, so I'm just going to avoid skid row. Mexico tight cave I don't mind. Tight spots in Ginnie, Peacock, and other Fl caves I don't like.
No issue you carrying a stage. I carry a stage anytime I go to the end of hillier. Not needed, but more gas won't kill you typically. A cool intro dive to that area would be to go to end of hillier, if you still have plenty of gas, jump to double domes and check that area out. Getting all the way to double domes on backgas alone is impossible for many. Even with a stage many people are too low on gas to get into double domes (without a scooter). So if you get to the end and gas is tight, its not a big deal. With time and gaining comfort back there you'll eventually have enough gas to do double domes.

Honestly I feels a bit spooky back there, and it reassures me to have an extra 75cuft.

But I will be going slowly. It took me three dives going slowly before I did Roller Coaster to Bats to Hill 400. I really only like to introduce a single new nav decision each dive.
I won’t speak to anything solo-wise. But none of the dives you’re describing call for a safety. If you’re uncomfortable up there, thumb it early instead of pushing past this feeling and relying on a safety bottle. Dragging that safety is gonna suck for you for no reason.

These are pretty easy dives towards the front of the cave and don’t need to be that complicated.

I would start with double lines. Hillier is just more of what you’ve already seen. Extra hill400.

If you’re uncomfortable up there, thumb it early instead of pushing past this feeling and relying on a safety bottle.
This was what I was getting at. Bringing a safety is never a bad thing but dont use it to boost your confidence and be someplace you don't want to be or shouldn't be

But none of the dives you’re describing call for a safety. If you’re uncomfortable up there, thumb it early instead of pushing past this feeling and relying on a safety bottle. Dragging that safety is gonna suck for you for no reason.
I don't disagree with you but do you remeber the dude from the link you posted in the other thread? The dude who lost his scoot and his buddy in a silt-out in mainland? How far is mainland from the end of the hiller tunnel or from the double lines? (I actually don't know where mainland is).

I don't disagree with you but do you remeber the dude from the link you posted in the other thread? The dude who lost his scoot and his buddy in a silt-out in mainland? How far is mainland from the end of the hiller tunnel or from the double lines? (I actually don't know where mainland is).
A long way.

Mainland is at 3800ft.
The end of the hiller tunnel is 1500ft

Describing that area as spooky and wanting to take a safety suggests to me that you’re extending beyond where you need to be right now. You’re compounding this by apparently diving solo and automatically dividing your resources in half from what you’d get with a proper buddy.

Bad juju all around homie.

@Manatee Diver, if you are diving solo, and would like some company to hit new spots for you…I’m Local. I’m on CCR, but I’ll have plenty of OC gas if that makes you more comfortable.

Honestly though if you can do rollercoaster , shortcut, bats and out to 400 on thirds, you can do hillier and double domes on less gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom