Putting On The Wetsuit ---- One Easy Item Prevents Hassles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a skin. It allows the suit to move to the most natural position. It allows the suit to move and prevent the feeling of binding or restriction of motion.

There's a live aboard near here that has an industrial (brothel?) sized tub of lube. Works wonders for those tight thick wet wetsuits. It think the dive skin is less icky though.

The wet suit creates warmth by thickness of the insulating medium and the closeness of the insulation material to the body, trapping the water flow -

For the first time wet suit purchaser, which many of you are. the suit will be tight- but easy to put on - almost like putting on street clothes with certain adaptations

The second wet suit purchased might possibility be a custom with a few personal modification and will fit even tighter for a better closer fit and insulation-
and considerable more difficult to put on-- often requiring ingenious adaptations

The third suit will probably be full on custom with numerous personal modifications or innovations and will be cut so tight and body hugging that the eyes will almost pop out of their sockets when it it put on --
but the wet suit will be warmer than the first two purchased

The fourth suit ?

SDM

That is especially true if the first, second, and third suits are purchased in the same size over a period of several years.

While nylon or lycra socks are a good idea, and have been used for a long time, they do not do much to help get the wetsuit over the thighs, waist, and upper body. I use lycra socks in conjunction with a lycra dive skin, making donning and doffing very easy without adding buoyancy. The dive skin can also be used for sun/stinger protection in the event you find your wetsuit a bit too warm on your first dive.

I COPY. (But for me and others, the problem was only in getting the wetsuit pants on; upper was never a problem. Dive skin sounds good. Don't know the cost. Was never even mentioned to us at the dive shops or by instructors, but that was decades ago. I only dove in cold Pacific coast California ocean. Never in warm water.)

Back
Top Bottom