Q: How to calculate and choose the right floating arm without getting wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,
I want to buy a set of floating arm for my Nauticam Sony Rx100 housing, I have 2x Sea&Sea D1 strobes, 1x Gopro, 1x Soloa photo light and 1x inon macro wetlens mounted on I-das S type tray. I would like to know which float arm I should buy. I am thinking to get a pair of Inon Mega float size S, it has Buoyancy of -390 g/-13.8 oz but I am afraid it is too much and it will float to the surface. I want to have the buoyancy of the rig on neutral or slight positive. How do I measure it? Should I weight everything and subtract it by (2 x -390g/-13.8 oz)?

I cannot try it on the pool, the store does not let you try it on.

Here's a cheaper alternative to the commercial floats:

DIY Underwater Camera Floats & Strobe Arm Floats
DIVINYCELL FOAM PVC from Aircraft Spruce

Dry weight - buoyancy of float, neglecting buoyancy of your existing gear, will yield a buoyant rig...but that's more-or-less what I did when I made my floats. I made a pair of floats that I expected to be net negative and was surprised to find the rig just about neutral.

The first link above shows how to use a tub of water and scale to check the weight of your rig in water (the rubber maid method in step 1).

I document my float DIY in post 104 here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup-11.html

You can also buy separate floats as not in all countries sell the divynilcell to the public
Most of the items you mention have a declared buoyancy from the manufacturer
The nauticam with sony in is -170 grams
You can buy everyone and the weight it in your bathtub with a luggage scale and then calculate what you need
Sola are around 90 grams the tray and handle probably around 200 grams gopro another 100 negative etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom