Quarry Diving questions from an ocean diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyhoundsAreFast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m confused and hoping someone might help me understand. It sounds like if I want to dive in a quarry, I need permission from several places.

For example, Rappahannock Quarry in VA: according to another forum, it’s closed to the general public (ok). Scuba is permitted (ok). Access needs to be coordinated through Virginia Outdoor Center (i think ok) and The Scuba Shop, a LDS (why?). VOC? Is that like Park Authority? Or a store? And the LDS? I don’t mind supporting them but do I really need their permission?

Help me out... what am I missing? I live on an island close to the equator. When I want to dive, I dive (safely and following all local rules). I only go to the LDS if I want training or equipment. I don’t need their permission to go in the ocean.

One big difference ... no one owns the ocean while every quarry I am aware of is on private property. So with a quarry you need to follow the rules established by whomever owns the quarry be it an individual, a business, or a governmental entity.

Because the local dive shop has an agreement with whoever owns the quarry. For instance if you want to quarry dive in Virginia I would recommend Lake Phoenix. It's a dive park so the owner charges an admission fee.

I’m confused and hoping someone might help me understand. It sounds like if I want to dive in a quarry, I need permission from several places.

For example, Rappahannock Quarry in VA: according to another forum, it’s closed to the general public (ok). Scuba is permitted (ok). Access needs to be coordinated through Virginia Outdoor Center (i think ok) and The Scuba Shop, a LDS (why?). VOC? Is that like Park Authority? Or a store? And the LDS? I don’t mind supporting them but do I really need their permission?

Help me out... what am I missing? I live on an island close to the equator. When I want to dive, I dive (safely and following all local rules). I only go to the LDS if I want training or equipment. I don’t need their permission to go in the ocean.

Yes, you do.

Pretty much forget about solo diving in quarries. The amusement park owners are beholden to their lawyers and insurance companies. The little bit of income you might provide is insignificant compared to their perceived risk. In addition, there really isn't anything to see there so they fill them with junk.

Forget quarries.

Yes, you do.

Pretty much forget about solo diving in quarries. The amusement park owners are beholden to their lawyers and insurance companies. The little bit of income you might provide is insignificant compared to their perceived risk. In addition, there really isn't anything to see there so they fill them with junk.

Forget quarries.

My local quarry DOES allow solo diving if you have a solo cert, but that’s not common (to allow solo).

Quarry is low viz and cold, but temp doesn’t bother me and you get used to the viz. It’s the place for training and trying out new gear. My preferred place to dive - the Great Lakes, but you don’t go try out new gear there as my dive sites are boat only.

Plus, the quarry is cheap when you want to get wet. A Lake Michigan charter is $110 min per diver for 2 tanks/half day. You can dive all day at the quarry for $20 plus fills.

Yes, you do.

Forget quarries.

I’m not really interested in solo diving in a new environment. Just a new environment/new type of dive.

There are few nice ones around Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Viz is usually good during the week or early in the mornings on the weekends before the students get in and start bouncing off the bottom. Check out Lake Phoenix in Rawlings, VA or Dutch Springs in Bethlehem PA.

I’m not really interested in solo diving in a new environment. Just a new environment/new type of dive.

Plus, the quarry is cheap when you want to get wet. A Lake Michigan charter is $110 min per diver for 2 tanks/half day. You can dive all day at the quarry for $20 plus fills.
Pretty much the same here for a charter. Dutch Springs wants over $30 per day and discourages solo diving. Solo divers need to wear a body finder. You are fortunate to have such a quarry, I am fortunate to be living near enough to the ocean that a one day round trip is reasonable.

The local back bays are full of life and interesting stuff, cost nothing, and none of the inhabitants have ever carded me for anything...

(Oh yeah, and open all year around.)

Because the local dive shop has an agreement with whoever owns the quarry. For instance if you want to quarry dive in Virginia I would recommend Lake Phoenix. It's a dive park so the owner charges an admission fee.

What he said.

I gave up trying to get into Rappahannock Quarry. The only way that you can easily get into that quarry is if you get in with someone that has permission to access it. Ex. Scuba Shack via a class or an independent instructor that Ralph lets access it to teach a class.

Supposedly...Scuba Shack will be hosting an open dive day at Rappahannock Quarry in January. If they end up doing that, I’ll definitely go check the place out.

The other viable options within an hour or so are Millbrook Quarry and Lake Phoenix. Millbrook is convenient, but the visibility is much better at Phoenix.

If you have a controlled access dive site, you have to have personnel who can control that access. A dive shop makes sense. This is a fairly common occurrence around the country.

We in the Rocky Mountain region are losing one of the best dive technical diving sites in the many state region next month when a new owner takes charge. He is apparently not interested in allowing diving anyway, but if he were to change his mind and allow it, he would have to find some way to control the access. Someone somewhere would have to accept waivers, give out permits, accept payment, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom