Question about Adventure Diver and Adv. Open Water Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decompressionable

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i'm padi certified and want to become adv. open water. i've heard that padi offers the adventure certification that includes three OW dives on either wreck, night, deep etc. and that if you dive two more times in the following 12 months, the adventure cert. is upgraded to Adv. Open Water. Is this true? and if so, do the two additional dives have to be in a certain specialty or do they have to be advanced dives?

thanks everyone...

ps: if anyone has any suggestions for diving in Barbados, I'm all ears.

Per PADI, for AOW you need five "adventure dives" with a PADI instructor, of which two are required: Deep and UW Nav.

Personally, I'd skip the "Adventure Diver" designation and go for AOW.

PADI’s Adventure Diver course is a subset of their Advanced Open Water course.

The former requires three training dives from a long list of specialties. Advanced requires a total of five training dives, two of which must be navigation and deep.

After completing Adventure Diver, you could become Advanced with two more training dives.

I’m not aware of a time limit.

edit: oops, fisheater typed faster than I.

Yea skip the adventure certification, and just go advanced.

With the five included dives with an instructor, why then is the AOW course not considered a "Specialty Course". Is it due to the old adage Put Another Dollar In?

i wouldn't consider it a specialty because the 5 dives a)aren't really related and b)are different from class to class (ignoring the mandatory ones)... is this a specialization in generalization?

With the five included dives with an instructor, why then is the AOW course not considered a "Specialty Course". Is it due to the old adage Put Another Dollar In?

I'm not an expert on PADI in general, but I believe that each specialty course that requires dives -- several don't, such as EANx, Equipment, Computer -- generally requires classroom / pool work and then several (2-4) OW dives. The AOW instead requires 5 "adventure dives" in different subjects, with limited classroom work on each subject. In many cases the "adventure dive" can be considered the first of the several dives that would be required for the speciality course certification.

Put another way, adventure dives are introductions to certain specialities, but completion of the speciality training requires more sustained focus that the adventure dive alone. The AOW cert effectively requires 5 speciality introductions ("adventure dives") and results in a AOW cert; each speciality course requires more focused attention and skills on one subject and results in the speciality cert.

That's the difference as I understand it -- to what extent it is driven by the old adage is probably a matter of opinion.

To the OP - if you're going to pursue the Adventure Diver cert, I'd echo what others have said and probably just do the AOW. The Adventure Diver isn't a pre-req for anyhting - it just is what it is; the AOW is a pre-req for Rescue Diver which I've repeatedly heard is very rewarding training and experience. My wife and I just recently completed our AOW, more or less on the spur of the moment and as a lark, after several years of "just diving" (basically vacation diving) and I confess that the process reignited my desire to dive more often and to engage in learning new skills instead of just sight-seeing.

Back
Top Bottom