Question about Atomic first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Atomic:

I have an Atomic Z2 which I would like to upgrade for cold water diving as it is not env-sealed. I have the option of installing a cold water kit (christolube) or I have the option of buying the more expensive M1. For someone who already owns an Atomic Z2 first stage, is there any advantage to getting the M1 regulator or should I just buy the second stage of M1 and attach it to my Z2X.

Thanks.

Sinbad

Unless you dive 36F fresh water or dive exclusively in weather with freezing surface temps just do not do it :)
My personal opinion if you want to pack a piston stage with chrystolube it's a fist sign for buying a diaphragm stage.

I dove my MK25th in as cold as 40F this last year and had no issues with freezups.

If you dive salt water then it's also not an ideal solution. As it still can trap salt water which is hard to soak and it promotes corrosion. Plus you will have to pay for the chrystolube every service.

Unless you dive 36F fresh water or dive exclusively in weather with freezing surface temps just do not do it :)
My personal opinion if you want to pack a piston stage with chrystolube it's a fist sign for buying a diaphragm stage.

I dove my MK25th in as cold as 40F this last year and had no issues with freezups.

If you dive salt water then it's also not an ideal solution. As it still can trap salt water which is hard to soak and it promotes corrosion. Plus you will have to pay for the chrystolube every service.

I dove 43 degrees with my Z2 and had no issues. I want to go under ice now and do some photo work in extremely cold waters like Arctic, James Bay and Iceland etc. I do know that Atomics has M1 as their ice regulator. What exactly makes it an ice reg is what I do not know. If its is the chrystolube seal, then I can get it on my Z2. If anything else then I may look into buying the M1 and just attaching my Z2 second stage on it as an octo.

A diaphragm reg will work much better for this purpose.

I dove 43 degrees with my Z2 and had no issues. I want to go under ice now and do some photo work in extremely cold waters like Arctic, James Bay and Iceland etc. I do know that Atomics has M1 as their ice regulator. What exactly makes it an ice reg is what I do not know. If its is the chrystolube seal, then I can get it on my Z2. If anything else then I may look into buying the M1 and just attaching my Z2 second stage on it as an octo.

the primary difference between the Z and the M is the swivel port on the first stage and the piston material, other than that they are the same and use the same parts kit. Unless you are planning on running high FO2 I would seal the Z. It is no where near the PITA that folks describe. I own the M1 and Z1, both env sealed and have had flawless performance since I got them in 2002. I do not dive under ice, but would not hesitate to, once properly trained. I do go winter diving off of New Jersey and the quarries in PA, so they have seen pretty cold water.

Hello Captain! Thanks for the question. Everyone here has had very helpful advice for you. The Z2 would work just fine for cold water and the first thing I would do is get it sealed. Our environmental boot will be the best economical choice for you. I do want to mention one other piece of the M1 that is crucial for its performance when diving in extreme cold environments and that is the heat sink near the second stage. This piece helps to prevent the second stage from freezing up as well. The heat sink is another small piece that can be ordered and added to your Z2. This piece is really only needed for extreme conditions though!

I hope this helps you make your decision! Thanks Captain.

Atomic

Hello Captain! Thanks for the question. Everyone here has had very helpful advice for you. The Z2 would work just fine for cold water and the first thing I would do is get it sealed. Our environmental boot will be the best economical choice for you. I do want to mention one other piece of the M1 that is crucial for its performance when diving in extreme cold environments and that is the heat sink near the second stage. This piece helps to prevent the second stage from freezing up as well. The heat sink is another small piece that can be ordered and added to your Z2. This piece is really only needed for extreme conditions though!

I hope this helps you make your decision! Thanks Captain.

Atomic

Thanks so much Atomic. Is the environmental boot anything different than Chrystolube seal? Where can I get it installed? Thanks once again.

I think what AA is calling the environmental boot is the environmental seal that goes around the body of the regulator. Currently the one you have on Z2 has holes in it to allow water into the ambient chamber. When sealed the ambient chamber will be filled the christolube. The environmental seal is solid (but flexible) and helps keep the lube in. Any shop can order it - and once filled with lube it gets installed.

No prob! It is an actual piece that seals up the holes you can see around your 1st stage. If you look closely, there is a black ring with holes, the environmental boot is the same type of seal, but it does not have the holes. This, along with the Chrystolube, seals up the 1st stage. Any of our dealers that service our regs can seal a first stage. This can be done when you take your reg in for its annual service. Also, remember that once your reg is sealed, when you take it in for servicing there will a charge to seal it again. I forgot about this the first time I took my first Atomic to be serviced (before working here). It is not expensive, usually around $40. Thanks Captain!

Atomic

Hi. I just ordered a set of B2 + Z2 octo. They might be coming in days. There are 2 questions here.

1) how do I know if my B2 is environmentally sealed? Is there any way I can check it??

2) Is there anywhere I can learn to servicey regulator myself. I am a machanical orientated guy which works alot on assembly and dissassembly. Any course atomic can provide to make myself an certified atomic service technician? Thanks.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 02:03 PM ----------

Hi. I just ordered a set of B2 + Z2 octo. They might be coming in days. There are 2 questions here.

1) how do I know if my B2 is environmentally sealed? Is there any way I can check it??

2) Is there anywhere I can learn to servicey regulator myself. I am a machanical orientated guy which works alot on assembly and dissassembly. Any course atomic can provide to make myself an certified atomic service technician? Thanks.
Sorry. I just got the answer for my first question by reading the reply above. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom