Question about Atomic regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to buy either the Z2 or B2...

Money is the only issue though...

Should I buy a Z2 sometime in the future, and later add the comfort swivel hose to the 2nd stage, or should I just save up and wait more and get the B2, which includes both 1st and 2nd stage swivels?

also, if I do go with one of the two, should I get an octo, like the Z2 octo, or should I go with a safe second?

thanks

Jack

I have a Z2 and debated the same points. The atomics are so light i'm not sure the second stage swivel would reduce the already absent jaw fatigue. I ended up going with a full Z2 octo even though it was expensive...I feel better having this as a true backup and you can always use it later on it's full second stage reg.

Cheers.

-J.-

The Z2 plus the hose will come close in price so a B2. Plus then you won't have the 1st stage swivel.

Talk to your shop about creative payment plans. A lot of shops have a modified lay-away plan where you have a certain number of months to make the full payment. And until then, you can come in and "rent" your own regulator and return it until your payments are done.

I got the B2 4 months ago. I had considered the Z2 as well. The only differences as I recall is B2 2nd stage has more Ti parts (they both have Ti lever + Ti orifice + Ti 2nd stage spring, but B2 has Ti valve body, while Z2 has Brass/Zirconium valve body) and B2 has swivels in the 1st and 2nd stages. If you add those swivels to a Z2, you'll bring its price close to the B2. They both require service once every 2 years (I think Atomic used to require the Z1 be serviced once a year until Z2 came out last year). So, if you're going to add the swivels, I'd say get the B2.
Good luck and dive safely.

I dive a B2 with an oceanic 180 swivel octo. Love the combo. The 1st stage swivel is fantastic and well worth the money. I didn't notice a huge weight difference between the B2 and the Z2 when I was playing with them in the shop but hell, if you are going to buy an atomic why not splurge a little? Enjoy the reg!!

J

I'm going to get the B2 with swivel for sure but I'm torn beween another B2 for an Octo or an Atomic SS1 for my octo.......

For an octo, I'd probably go ahead and get the Z2 instead of a B2 unless you want to splurge. They breathe the same, and if you ever need to use an octo, a swivel won't be a big deal.

Also, remember that the octo version for both is considerably cheaper, since it's only a 2nd stage.

You'll hear a lot of moaning about the SS1 "not being safe", "being harder to use" and "your buddy not knowing how to use it". Just like all equipment, be sure to know how to use it how it was intended. And if you're getting in the water without explaining how to handle an OOA with your buddy, then you have bigger problems. I love my SS1. I can make safe ascents while using it and donating my primary.

EvaL:
I think Atomic wanted the Z1/Z2 serviced once a year until sometime last year

To my understanding, the Z2 has always had two year service.

The B1 and Z1 did not have the current pressure seats, and thus wore out quicker. When you service your older Atomic regs, you can ask that they replace these seats. Effectively making them a B2/Z2 and extending their between-service time.

rakkis:
To my understanding, the Z2 has always had two year service.

The B1 and Z1 did not have the current pressure seats, and thus wore out quicker. When you service your older Atomic regs, you can ask that they replace these seats. Effectively making them a B2/Z2 and extending their between-service time.

It's not just the seat. The piston has to be replaced too, and the piston+seat+trim piece is called the Jet piston upgrade, costing about $70. Some later Z1's have the Jet piston, and IIRC some of the B1's too. (This is of course the first stage, and the Z1 and B1 is identical except for the swivel port, which can in fact be put on the Z1 first stage to make it a B1 first stage. The B1/Z1 first stages with the Jet piston is exactly the same as the B2/Z2 first stage.)

B1 first stage = Z1 first stage plus first stage swivel = M1 first stage (but M1 has the monel piston and monel swivel bolt instead of the stainless steel ones)
B1 second stage = T1 second stage = Ti2 octo
internally Z1 second stage = M1 second stage
(except that the M1 second stage has a stainless steel orifice instead of the Z1/B1/T1's titanium orifice)

The T1, B1, M1 have two year service intervals and Z1 has one year interval.
But the Z1 has the same first stage as the B1 and same second stage (except for Ti vs. SS orifice) as the M1, so the difference really doesn't make sense.
This is probably why Atomic just made the Z2 service interval 2 years, the same as all the other models.
(I heard that the pre-Jet piston and seat combination did sometimes see premature IP creep before the 2 year service time especially when used on HP tanks, but that doesn't have much to do with why the Z1 had a one year service interval, it was the same failing on all early Atomic regs.)

Any way you go, these are really nice regulators. I have 8. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom