Question about ditching a BC with all your weight in it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just take the tank off and see how it feels? I bet one time with that and you won't be puting 30 lbs in the BC. The comments about flairing out on ascent are very good, but the idea of taking a weight pocket with you is not. If you got time to screw with a weight pocket, yo probably have time to try to free the scuba unit and come up with it.

Sounds good in theory, but I always raise the issue of what "I" should do given that with double steel 119s and an AL backplate I'm still a few pounds overweight with no lead whatsoever. So I have no weight to ditch. I guess I could switch to AL doubles and put some lead on a belt, but then I'd have a lot less air. I'll err on the side of having enough air to get out of the jam.

OK, sorry, your question is really a bit more advanced than the typical sport diver profile. I suggest you question those who dive similar rigs. I doubt I would dive such a rig and my answer was directed to a more reasonable configuration.

If your not diving a deco profile or overhead profile with that rig then I would suggest you use a smaller doubles rig or a singles rig so that you can share the weight between yourself and your rig.

N

Since I started diving a BPW and teaching classes I've gotten into the habit of using a belt even when using my jacket bc. And the more I think about it the more sense it makes. Now I believe there is never any reason to drop all your weights at depth. So along those lines I have come to the conclusion that no matter how convenient it is, putting all the weight in the bc is a bad idea. Now assuming you have to ditch your bc unless you are going to relase the tank and reg and take them with you, you have a finite amount of air to work with. At this point it's either try to stay down and drown in order to do some kind of controlled ascent,say on a line, or just exhale continuously and accept that depending on how long you've been down a chamber ride may be in order. I would be curious though as to why you'd need 30 plus pounds in a 5 mil though. For me with an al 80 even in a jacket bc it's more like 16-18. ALso just how much lead do you really need to drop to start an ascent?

I was just using this as an example, I've never used over 15 #'s of weight @ any time....., make it a 7 mm suit with a 7 mm hooded long sleeve vest underneath with VERY + fins---I don 't care.....lol---whatever you want just something to make it alot of weight you had on----As I said, I now use part(4 or 6#s) in my Scout BC with the rest on a belt, 6 to 8 #s.....Just curious as to how someone would handle a 'all of a Sudden Rush To the Top'........Guess you have to think ahead, like loosing your belt UW----Flair Baby Flair....Seems like alot are into the 'all in the BC thingy', & for what reason----I can't figure it out...

I have taken my tank off a number of times at depth for reasons ranging from freeflowing dump valve to tank sliding out of the band. I almost never use weights in my weight pockets. I always use a weight belt. I have a large SMB in one pocket sleeve, and sometimes a bailout bottle/reg in the other. It is nice to have no bouyancy problems if taking off the BCD is necessary.

Yep, I agree 110% :D

I was just "theorizing" as to why someone would be ditching a BC underwater in the 1st place, and "entanglement" seemed the most likely answer... I think the whole idea posed by the original poster was a "what if" scenario....

I think far more likely "what-if" scenario for integrated weight BC's would be accidental release of the weights while underwater. This is something I think those wearing integrated BC's should consider... just like I've considered "what-if" my weightbelt came off... I think this whole topic is just food for thought, but is worthwhile considering.

Safe Diving!

This is quite true, and BCDs that have velcro & clip weight pockets instead of the "ripcord"-style are (from what I hear) prone to having the pockets fall out if they're not firmly clipped in. I just can't imagine how anyone could get entangled so horribly that they would have to take their BCD off instead of just use shears or a dive knife to cut themselves loose unless they simply were not watching where they were going.

Why not just take the tank off and see how it feels? I bet one time with that and you won't be puting 30 lbs in the BC. The comments about flairing out on ascent are very good, but the idea of taking a weight pocket with you is not. If you got time to screw with a weight pocket, yo probably have time to try to free the scuba unit and come up with it.

Good point on the weight pockets. I would imagine that inbetween the option of ditching the scuba unit and a CESA, the diver would make damn sure he/she kept ahold of that scuba unit to prevent a rapid ascent.

I have taken my tank off a number of times at depth for reasons ranging from freeflowing dump valve to tank sliding out of the band. I almost never use weights in my weight pockets. I always use a weight belt. I have a large SMB in one pocket sleeve, and sometimes a bailout bottle/reg in the other. It is nice to have no bouyancy problems if taking off the BCD is necessary.

I don't mean to stir anything up, but wouldn't a good pre-dive safety check spot things such as a possibly damaged valve, loose tank in band, etc.? From reading this thread, it does sound like a weight belt may be worth it, but it also seems like a lot of the reasons for having to remove a scuba unit are preventable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom