Question about diving the wharf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmish

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's been people's experience with diving the commercial wharf as it relates to the harbormaster? My buddy and I checked in to dive the wharf (accessing on the east/beach side) this past weekend and he told us he will only allow it if we identify a topside observer. I was somewhat surprised by this since I called the harbormaster's office earlier in the week and the person I spoke with didn't mention anything about a topside observer (and was pretty laid back about the whole thing in general). I'm just curious if this is standard practice or new policy since I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere before.

We dove it back in January and were told the same thing. He let it slide because it was late on a weekend, there was virtually no boat traffic and we were doing a quasi-night dive, but apparently that's the norm.

A note of caution about diving the wharf –

Saturday, July 5, 2008, a group of three was diving Monterey’s commercial wharf when they encountered an upset angler. During the dive, the topside fisherman was angry because of the divers’ presence stating the divers were affecting the fishing. To exact some type of revenge, the fisherman decided to fish for divers.

According to my friends, the fisherman tied a weight to the end of piece of fishing line and the line was outfitted with approximately eight (8) hooks at about a 12” spacing. The upset fisherman then threw the hooked and weighted line toward the divers and began to jig. Fortunately, the alert divers were able to escape without injury.

Of the trio, I know two; they’re not the type of people to exaggerate, much less fabricate, a story.

Please use caution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom