question about dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat:
for your undergarments, stay away from cotton's, use polyester fleece.

Looks like i spoke a wee bit too soon. My teacher went over in detail what to wear under dry suits and whatnot in our class tonight. I posted about 8 hours too early, it seems! It's good to have other opinions though, see what works well for others. So thankies.

All I have to say is that I had the same problem with the drysuit they gave me in my OW class, and I was worried about it, and they told me not to worry because everybody gets more water in the suit in the pool than they will in the ocean . . . and the suit leaked badly in my OW dive, resulting in my becoming frankly hypothermic and having to get out of my wet garments on the sidewalk in the middle of Seattle's Alki district. I didn't stop shivering for over an hour.

My advice would be NOT to dive this suit. Make them find one that fits properly.

Also, you don't say what material the suit is made of, but if it's a trilaminate suit, you'll need a lot more undergarment than you're describing (although it sounds like your instructor may have covered that).

Id say either the seal hasnt been folded back on itself properly (vital with neoprene) or more likely the neck seal is too big and needs taking in or replacing.
It'll be far worse and more unpleasant in cold water. Get a different suit.

Having spent several dives (40-50) in a trilam suit with a latex neck seal that didn't fit I can tell you you're probably going to hate that suit. My suit is also the smallest the manufacturer makes but for some reason they put a regular neck seal in it instead of a small one. Having the neck seal changed to a small eliminated a lot of the misery of diving that suit. Put it this way, I was to a point where I would rather dive naked wearing a hood and gloves in cold water than dive that dry suit. The thing would burp air out the neck and I'd feel a rush of water come in and run down my chest. I can't even imagine being a new diver and trying to deal with a poor fitting suit while doing skills during check-outs. Dry suits aren't a bad thing but the better they fit the happier you are going to be. Make them get you a suit that fits or just go wet--there are some threads on here with really good tips for making cold water wetsuit dives easier.
Ber :lilbunny:

genxweb:
I find it odd that they will allow you to do a dry suit dive with out even having your OW but that is for you to judge not me.

It isn't unusual to certify ow students in a dry suit in the Pacific Northwest. I did. It's rather cold here. :D

Creamofwheat, one thing to try is to make sure that you are horizontal when you are adding air to your suit. If you are vertical, the air will rise and burp out of the most convenient location, usually your neck seal if it isn't quite tight enough. Everytime air goes out the neck, water comes in the neck.

My suit leaked on 3 of my 4 ow dives, and I wasn't cold, except when we were sitting on the bottom waiting for skills. Even then it wasn't too bad. I was too excited!

Welcome to diving in the PNW!

All I can say is look into a custom fit suit if you plan to keep diving up here. I also have a small neck so a custom fit was vital plus my suit did not leak, even in the pool when I was testing it out. Another thing to keep in mind if you have a neophrene neck seal make sure not to look up. This will cause it to leak!

You guys are NOT inspiring any confidence in me regarding my drysuit course next week!

Gidds:
You guys are NOT inspiring any confidence in me regarding my drysuit course next week!
If you buy a drysuit that fits you well, and pair it with undergarments appropriately suited to the environment you're diving in and also fit you well, then drysuit diving is a cakewalk.

I see no reason to learn to dive a drysuit unless you already own one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom