question about dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
You guys are NOT inspiring any confidence in me regarding my drysuit course next week!

If you learn from reading what we learned the hard way your course should be a breeze! My husband loved his suit from the first dive but his fit him well; it took me nearly 100 dives to get to the point where I like my suit. Everyone is different and that can really work in your favor :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ugh :yuck: I've got skinny wrists, ankles, and neck, I do not forsee this ending well :frown:

Gidds:
Ugh :yuck: I've got skinny wrists, ankles, and neck, I do not forsee this ending well :frown:
Just add some zip ties. :11:

Just shop carefully as I'm sure you will.

Pete

It really seems like you do not have a good fit, this must be an abused rental suit especially if you have water in your boots. As far as what to wear underneath it really depends if it is a tilam or neoprene suit. In the summer when the water is between 60-70 deg I wear just a tee shirt and shorts with wool socks under my neoprene suit. In the winter with 34 deg water I wear sweat pants wool socks a long sleve shirt with a thinsulate jacket and I am warm. Except my face gets a bit numb.

If its a trilam usually the dry suit mfg has thinsulate jump suits that work well that I would imagine would come with the rental.

As someone else mentioned:
With a neoprene neck seal you need to fold the top about 1/2" down the inside on your neck. When you tilt your head forward ask your buddy to look at your neck and make sure it's not gaping. If it is, then you need pull up the torso of your suit so that the back of neck seal isn't being pulled downward.

Another good idea is to make sure your hood fits over the neck seal. If it doesn't then as you move your head, you will encourage water to come trickling into your suit.

There are many schools of thought about using your DS as a BCD. Many of us have tried both approaches and many of us decided to use our BCD for the purpose that it was made for. Since you are a new diver, your instructor is trying not to task load you. As you become comfortable with the basic diving skills that you are learning, you may likely find that your buoyancy is much more easily and precisely controlled by using your BCD. Ultimately try both methods and see which is best for your style of diving.

creamofwheat, if you don't mind saying, are you on the island or the mainland?

I fold my neoprene neck seal about 3 cm down inside. My seal is very tight. Actually it is uncomfortably tight on shore, but as soon as I go in it's just fine. The seal should be tight on your suit!!! -I've never had any leaks down my neck, except when I've forgotten to shave :D

Regarding undergarments I cannot make to much noise about how great a couple of thin layers of pure wool works under a regular neoprene suit. Forget all the "plastic fantastic" underwear they sell. Polypropylene is made to transport your sweat off your body. Well, it doesn't go anywhere inside your suit, so you will have to live with it*. There's hardly any heat insulation in polypropylene if the moist cannot get out. Wool will keep you warmer, since it keeps its insulation even when slightly moist.

Good luck with your drysuit! It's possible to get it perfect if you just decide on it and work on it. I'd say my diving conditions are usually even colder than yours, so I know what you're up to. I'd love to come back to BC and Vancouver Island some day, and then I'll bring my gear! :D

* Actually you can "flush" yourself with dry air from your tank, but never mind that, yet...

Gidds:

They have different sizes of neck and wrist seals, make sure the have the right size on your suit.

KOMPRESSOR:
There's hardly any heat insulation in polypropylene if the moist cannot get out. Wool will keep you warmer, since it keeps its insulation even when slightly moist.
I'm not sure where you got your information, but it is completely false. Polypropylene maintains more warmth than wool when damp, and Thinsulate (made from polypropylene fibers I believe) retains the most warmth when damp of any insulation I'm aware of.

Wool is better than cotton, but not as good as modern synthetics.

Ber Rabbit:
They have different sizes of neck and wrist seals, make sure the have the right size on your suit.
That's the problem, it's not my suit. At least I shall now be prepared for leaky evil rental suit. :frown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom