Question about drysuit fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the bioseal is great....i love mine and would be sad if i ever forgot it at home.

However, it is known to break down latex seals faster....so i would suggest using it only with a neoprene neck seal (that is, unless you are looking for an excuse to replace your latex neck seal....in which case, the bioseal may be able to break it down faster for you :wink:).

bioseal, greatest thing ever, love it, havent had any prob with breakdown, 2 yrs on same seal, i love bioseal...

I have that same trouble, but only some of the time. Then I started thinking about what happened back on my dives. I notice that I was turning my head around a whole heck of lot more than normal, and therefore got the "burn" my neck. I use baby powder to slip into my seals, maybe try corn starch, we used that as kids. MaxBottomtime I am going to try the "hair conditioner" thing. Do you use it to get your gloves on? I found liquid hand soap helps when trying to get gloves on.

I use hair conditioner to get my hood on. You'll want to mix it with water that way it's not super goopy and a little will go a long way. I think I do something like 1/3 conditioner and 2/3 water.

I think this phenomenon is really mostly a friction type of burn. On our recent liveaboard trip in the Channel Islands, almost every person using a latex seal ended up with a red necklace by the end of three days of four or five dives a day. The skin of the neck is thin and delicate, compared with the skin of the wrists, and also has a great deal more motion, including stretching and twisting. To seal water out well, the latex has to have a fair amount of grip on the skin, and I think the shear forces do cumulative damage over time.

A Bioseal will reduce this, as will a neoprene neck seal, and also anything which creates some degree of lubrication between the seal and the skin.

True latex allergy would be apparent anywhere latex touched the skin.

I did a dive this weekend with a couple of modifications. I was more careful about craning my neck and I put some lube on my neck. Things were much more pleasant. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Back
Top Bottom