Question about first time Panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its worry not panic. Setting there on the edge your mind begins to think what can go wrong. Notice once you were down to 10 feet your breathing became more normal.

Day to day we don't tend to think about breathing very much. We just do it. Diving requires you to think about something that you naturally don't think about. So the first few times can be disorienting.

The first couple years I was diving I hyperventilated every time I hit the water. No mental panic or distress - hyperventilating was just the way my body reacted to the sudden change in environment/temperature (I think it was primarily the shock of cool water hitting my chest and face). I just got in the habit of sticking a snorkel back in my mouth as soon as I was in the water, so I didn't suck down all my air in the few minutes it took my body to adjust. (Key part is to remember to put the reg back in before going down...) Don't really remember when it stopped happening, but it did. Give it a bit of time, and you'll be fine!

PaulChristenson:
I was going to ask you how your computer logged the dive???

Or are you one of those rich Californians with a 5ft deep bathtub...:D

No, its a standard size bathtub. I had to lie on my tummy and bend my knees up. I needed lots off Tylanol to ease the pain in my back the next day.

I am from St Louis and took my first cert course at Flo-Valley about 30 years ago, and just like you I had problems at first but a good instructor can help you work things out. Just don't let this lead you to skip breathing - BAD DEAL. There are a lot of great places to dive where you are, so enjoy this new world you are about to experience.

Everything in life is a process...and we have all heard of the "learning process." Your post makes me think of air utilization skills. When I first started diving I used my air up alot more quickly than I do now...Again...it's a process. Awareness is 80% of the solution. In my humble opinion I think you will do just fine...Hang in there and enjoy the process...:0Safe Diving...

What you have been describing sounds a lot like the NATURAL Diving Reflex! Our bodies have a reflex for when our faces get wet. The only way to remedy the situation is to get very use to getting your face wet. I would highly recommend the bathtub thing, put your mask on and snorkel in your mouth and submerge your face and breath until you get comfortable, then get out and repeat until you are much more comfortable when your face first gets wet. You will always have a small reaction when your face gets submerged, it is a reflex.

Relax this is normal, once you start learning more about scuba you will love it, and WELCOME!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom