Question about Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dave55 and I dove at Mansfield Dam yesterday and I saw something I thought was strange. We went in at the stairs and straight out toward the airplane and from about 20ft to 30ft we saw a lot of dark green mat algae and I didn’t expect to see that much algae growing in 54 degree water. I have not dove much in cold water in the past and thought I would ask if that is normal.

Monday 1-31-11
Lake Travis - Mansfield Dam
Divers – Dave55 – paulw
Air Temp 74
Water Temp @ Surface – 54
Water Temp @ 74' – 54
Max Depth - 74'
Vis to 40' - 3' to 4'
Vis 40’ to 74 – 2’

We headed toward the plane and dropped over the wall just in front of it and headed west away from the dam dropping to 70’ looking for vis but it kept getting worse so we returned to the top of the wall and went over to the first sailboat, the vis was 3 to 4’ so we hung around it for a while. Keep your eyes open at that boat because I got hung up in some fishing line at the stern, I did see a very large catfish under the bow and he really mucked up the vis when he took off. We saw a lot of fish and all but the big cat were very lethargic, moving very slow and mostly only if we made them. To sum up the dive the water was cold and the vis was crap and I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was a FUN dive

I didn't see any algae that deep, but there was some right at the beach at the dive area last week that went for 5-6 feet into the water. I remember wanting to be careful not to slip on the algae walking into or out of the water. I was surprised to see the algae also.

I didn't see any algae that deep, but there was some right at the beach at the dive area last week that went for 5-6 feet into the water. I remember wanting to be careful not to slip on the algae walking into or out of the water. I was surprised to see the algae also.

I didn't see any up at the shore but it may have started a little shallower than 20', I remember stopping and pointing it out to David because it was everywhere and it could have been 15' ish.
We did notice someone moved the rock in front of the bottom of the stairs we had been using for a step and there was a plastic fishing "worm" by the stairs so I guess someone has been fishing in the scuba area from the beach and I wish they wouldn't because I would hate for one of us to step on a lost hook or lure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom