Question about PADI AOW and Specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to agree with AndyNZ as well. The only thing I would add is that if you think you might go pro (Instructor), you cannot teach the specialty without having the specialty. So if you want to become a Master Scuba Instructor, you'll need some specialty courses.
That is only true if you plan on teaching PADI Cavern Diver, Enriched Air Diver or Semiclosed Rebreather.

From my point of view (PADI Staff Instructor) your best bet to gain the most experiance out of your AOW course is to complete the course by completing a total of five speciality courses. This provides you with true experiance in different types of diving and lines you up to earn your Master Scuba Diver rating as soon as you have finished your rescue course.

This way does take longer but it produces someone who is actually experianced instead of just holding a card to show there friends.
and what is so special about the number 5?

and what is so special about the number 5?

Obviously there is no reason to choose exactly 5. It's just that this number makes you eligible for a new certification. IMO, just do the ones that make sense to you and give you the training you need. It could be any number.

The number 5 has its origins in the Boy Scouts. A first class scout who gets 5 merit badges becomes a star scout. A star scout who gets 5 more merit badges is now a life scout.

I am not guessing on this. I read an article years ago that quoted the guy who came up with the system. He was trying to think of a way to motivate people to get more training after their initial OW work. He thought that the Boy Scout (and similar organizations) system motivated people to work their way through the ranks, so it was used as a model for the AOW certification and later the Master Scuba Diver certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom