Question about pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot speak for other "yellow" cover regulators but the AL Legend octapus--yellow cover--breaths every bit as good as the one with the black cover and polished ring. N

having all your regulators the same eliminates confusion, in my opinion and slinging the pony and carrying the pony's second like you would a stage eliminates confusion like mentioned earlier.

-I have a Mk17 (DIN) with Divator mark II aga mask and Air 2 octo for winter or missions.
-A mk17 (DIN) single tank configuration with air 2 octo and S600 second
-A pair mk17's (DIN) setup for doubles with air 2 octo and 2 S600 seconds (1 on a 7ft hose)
-A mk17 (DIN) S600 setup for stage bottle/pony
-and a spare mk17 in yoke for travel along with a spare S600 and than my origional mk25 yoke and a R190 second for alternate backups or to lend out.

That breaks down to 4 DIN mk17's 1 yoke MK17 and 1 yoke mk25. Also that means 5 S600's and 1 R190 and 3 Air 2's. All identical in colors and lack of decoration. I dont see how people can confuse second stages, blows my mind.

I have all my regs in seperate labeled bags and I never get confused as to what second is in my mouth as I dive in the same configuration all the time with my emergency second on the pony or in the case of doubles the second is on a necklace.

You should be able to feel each hose all the way back to the first stage if you get confused anyway. There is no good reason to own a pile of different regs. It makes servicing more complicated too.

having all your regulators the same eliminates confusion, in my opinion and slinging the pony and carrying the pony's second like you would a stage eliminates confusion like mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure how having all the second stages serves to "eliminate confusion"? however, I will agree that if you carry your pony as a stage bottle, then it is much harder to confuse the regulators. Having a bunch of identical regs could have many advantages, but eliminate confusion does not seem to be one of them?

Also, your supposition that a panicked diver could just reach back and follow second stage hoses back to the respective first stages (in order to solve a confusing situation) is hard for me to believe. You really expect a casual sport diver to be able to do that in an emergency?

I would always use yellow for pony bottle. My yellow Cressi Sub second is much bigger than my primary, you can see yellow around your mouth, very difficult to get confused.
Now, million dollar question, anyone can point me to where I can buy regulator 1st stage without second stage. I need not expencive, even used but in working condition one.
I'm not going to use pony bottle for anything but safety bailout bottle. I need it for emergency only.

I would always use yellow for pony bottle. My yellow Cressi Sub second is much bigger than my primary, you can see yellow around your mouth, very difficult to get confused.
Now, million dollar question, anyone can point me to where I can buy regulator 1st stage without second stage. I need not expencive, even used but in working condition one.
I'm not going to use pony bottle for anything but safety bailout bottle. I need it for emergency only.

I still have the $60 dollar first stages from this thread. Just give me a call if you're interested. Thanks!

Hey Mike,

I have been carrying a 19cf pony for about 2 years now. I decided on this size mostly because it is the largest pony I can tuck in next to my tank, comfortably. I had a DIY set-up holding it in place until recently, when I replaced it with the Dive-Rite Remora pony bracket. I am very pleased with this set-up.

I moved up to the AA T2 reg last year, and moved my regs around a bit. My pony reg is an old USD Micra that used to be my air2 in my old USD BC. It was properly maintained and still works great after 13 years. Very lightweight and very small. It already has a yellow case on it.

As I said above... the Remora bracket (quick disconnect) holds the pony bottle nice and tight in next to my primary tank. I agree with several others here, that the reg can be carried around the neck on a tube necklace. I tried that for several dives, and it worked fine. My personal preference on that method has changed.

Because the bracket puts my pony behind my right shoulderblade (I mount it pointing down), I have rigged the bottle with 2 rubber tubes around it as hose holders. I have the hose (I think about 4') laying against the bottle in an "s" shape, under these straps. The hose lays under the straps 4 times, ending with the 2nd stage at the bottom of the rig (next to the 1st stage). In this configuration, the first stage is almost even with my right hand with my arms at my sides (proper diving position). If needed, a simple tug on the 1st stage, pulls the hose from under the straps and the reg is easily deployed. Of course, the valve was opened and checked before the dive, when checking the primary air source.

Three reasons I moved away from the necklace idea... 1) I am already large enough in the water, that streamlining is a real concern for me. I have made several gear changes over the last few years that have made a tremendous difference in my effort to move through the water. For me... less equipment hanging is better. 2) My BC has an Air2 for my secondary, making the pony a true redundant/ bailout bottle. And 3) With the hose and reg tucked in and strapped up to the tank, after the dive, I just disconnect the rig at the bracket, shut the valve, bleed the line, rinse it off, and put it away. Even though it's a 19, the way I rigged it, it's nice and compact. I also put a small pony guage on it, so I don't have to keep disconnecting the reg to check the fill level.

Whichever rig you choose... practice with it! If you haven't used it for awhile, deploy it at the end of a dive weekend and use it to reach your safety stop and then to surface... it pays to practice. And... don't forget to refill it right away!

I hope this helps... you will need to find what works for you.

Scott

Ditto Rich in nc
You need to have a reg that delivers air well at the depth you are diving, which usually excludes anything that is yellow, or attached to your bcd hose.

Umm, many second stages come in both Yellow, and XXXX. The Zeagle ZX is a good example. UR suggesting that any YELLOW colored backup/octo is somehow flawed?

Damn, I had no idea that Yellow was so powerful! :rofl3:

I dive a 19CF pony, with a ScubaPro MK-15 (I think, $50 at ScubaToys), and an OxyCheq YELLOW octo.

Works well for me. I attach it with the Zeagle pony straps. My only issue what that attachment is it's hard to accomplish this on a crowded boat if the tank is sitting next to another tank.

I'm going to attach a sling so I have some options if I choose not to attach this on the tank when I find a full boat! :D

Having it attached to the tank does require an SPG on a 2' HP hose. I *could* buy a second transmitter, and monitor both tanks with my puter, but that's a LOT of money to replace an SPG that I already own.....

I just noticed the ScubaToys had a very cool little brass SPG, that comes on a short hose for $50 if you choose to sling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom