Question about strong currents around Saba & St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI,

I work in saba/st kitts and on saba, the currents can come or go in a few minutes. it is not a big deal, you just need to know how to deal with it, and remember, no currents, no reef.......many dive sites have formations tht you can duck down behind if a current comes along, but don't not come here because of your fears, come and enjoy it!!

tuna

I was on that itinerary 4 years ago. The diving around Saba was amazing and not to be missed. I could have stayed at Diamond Rock all week! I got certified with my son 10 years ago when he turned 14 and we dove all over the Caribbean together after that. That was one lucky kid -- and an even luckier Dad! We're going to Bonaire in January. So many reefs, so little time (and $$$). :cool2:

current is not anything dangerous. the boat will check and go somewhere else if the current is too strong. The only time current seems to be an issue is during safety stop, where one has to be constantly be in a swimming position heading toward the lines dropped down from the boat. There were some people who drifted away from the rope and surfaced 100 ft away, but they just swam back. If you don't feel like swimming back, blow your sausage up to let the boat know where you are and they will come pick you up afterward. They sign out and sign in every diver that gets off and on the boat, so nobody will be missed by accidental counting.

I'm planning a sail/dive trip for May 2012. We'll be starting in St. Martin and plan to dive the surrounding islands (Saba, etc..). Does anyone have a map of the fill stations in the area they can point me to? I've been looking around but I'm having a hard time finding a consolidated map.

I have dived all over the world, and chose to move to St. Kitts as the diving there is amazing. Little to no currents ever, (I dive there 6 days a week and know the waters). There is amazzing stuff to see, and if you have any questions, check out Trip Advisor under Kenneth's Dive Center and you will see the comments. It's amazing! Big stuff, little stuff, reefs, wrecks, and more! VERY family friendly! No worries!

Can't wait to see you if you visit St. Kitts! Cheers! Wendy
Hi Wendy

Are you still living in St Kitts? We will be coming to St Kitts 06FEB16 for ten days. We plan on diving and would like to know if there is any shore diving. We are staying at Ocean Song Villa at Turtle Beach

Thx Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom