Question about target light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenazah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm confused, what is really the point of integrated target light on your strobe?

You're not supposed to point your strobe toward your object, so what is it for?

Sometimes strobe mfgs throw in this feature and while its nice to have, a lot of our customers who have such strobes eventually use our SLX focus light because it allows them to angle their strobes properly while keeping the light close to the camera. Some of the drawbacks with an integrated focus / target / pointer light is that it shares the battery with the strobe light so an external strobe is generally the way to go.

Do you use the focus light in only low light or nite diving conditions? Does it cause a bright spot on the pictures? If it is not attached to the strobe how does it aid in angling the strobe?

It is the most effective in low light settings. An extreme case would be taking a picture in complete darkness. It would be nearly impossible without a focus light because your camera has no depth perception. On the other end of the spectrum would be taking a picture of a subject in 10-15 feet of water where the color and the contrast of the subject becomes more subtle. Without a proper lighting your camera would not be able to find the highest point of contrast and your picture will become out of focus.

So essentially, the focus light is there to help your camera auto focus better and faster. A properly diffused focus light should not have a hot spot. Our SLX, for example, uses a diffuser that spreads out the light so even with the most extreme closeups you will not see a hot spot.

One of the benefits with integrated focus light is that the strobe can turn it of during the "actual photo" moment, to reduce the risk of a hotpot...

I use two Sea and Sea YS-110 and I have used the built in focusing light as my primary light during several night dives. Quite handy if you don't have eight arms :)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom