Question about the Reefmaster and wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaxias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm considering buying this camera as a first for keeping souvenirs (nothing too fancy). I've heard from a few places that the macro shoots are much better using the wide angle lens but it seems to block the flash. Does it make the flash unusable? The external flash adds quite a lot to the price so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

What about the DC800, does it allow good macro shots without an additional lens? If this is the case it seems to be cheaper then a reefmaster+lens+strobe.

I'll be doing some river and lake dives with it as well since I'm in Canada.

Hi, I'm considering buying this camera as a first for keeping souvenirs (nothing too fancy). I've heard from a few places that the macro shoots are much better using the wide angle lens but it seems to block the flash. Does it make the flash unusable? The external flash adds quite a lot to the price so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

What about the DC800, does it allow good macro shots without an additional lens? If this is the case it seems to be cheaper then a reefmaster+lens+strobe.

I'll be doing some river and lake dives with it as well since I'm in Canada.

Are you asking abou the Reefmaster Mini? I have the DC500, and it takes fine macro without the wideangle lens. In fact I rarely use the WA for macro, but rather to take vista type shots while getting close enough for good color. FWIW I always dive with a strobe, but unless you are right on top of the subject (where the camera wont even focus), the WA lens should not block the onboard flash.

That is the DC500, I have no experience with the Mini, or the 800.

Yes, I was talking about the reefmaster mini, sorry. The specs of the DC500 is 2.3 inches minimum focus so I understand there's probably no need to use the WA for macro.

The reefmaster mini is 1.5ft minimum but it drops to 12 inches with the WA lens so I'm guessing the lens is much more important with the mini.

The DC800 is a much better camera with autofocus, the mini has fixed focus. I don't think the built in flash on either will work very well under water but the DC800 with the color correction works pretty good in shallow clear water. If you are diving in a murky water you will most likely need a strobe, it really makes huge difference. The DC800 does not really need a the wide angle lens, you can add it and it works fine but you need to zoom in or you will get vignetting in the corners. The possibility to expand incrementally with the DC800 exists while you will be very limited by the mini with it's fixed focus. Be carefull underwater photography is addictive.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom