Question: Computer vs. Software Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine and I were having this discussion yesterday. We were pondering the advantages and disadvantages of using a computer on decompression dives. I like some input from you guys and gals, as we are currently split in our rational.

My thoughts:

I plan my dives using Deco Planner software. I plan the dive to the max depth expected for the entire bottom time. I print this plan off. I then run two contingency plans. One, for exceeded depth if my max depth planned is not a hard bottom. Two, for exceeded time, in case I extend my bottom time in an emergency. I plan my gass based on the most restrictive of the three, and by the rule of thirds. I plan my dive, dive my plan, and communicate my plan with my team, the boat captain, and the DM if appropriate.

I wear an Uwatec bottom timer as my primary, and my Oceanic VT Pro in gauge mode as my secondary. The Oceanic aslo records the dive for later analysis. I have set times in the dive for descent, out, turn, line, and stops. If I blow the depth or time due to an unforseen circumstance, I flip my slate to the appropriate table and take the penalty.

Since most of these dives are actually multi-level, I loose some bottom time, but gain a safety factor.

His thoughts:

He plans the dive using his computer software, so that he can estimate his gas needs and bottom times. He carries the generated tables with him via a slate. He wears a Nitek as his primary and a bottom timer as his secondary. He dives the profile that his Nitek gives him, allowing credit for multi-level. This is basically how I dive my recreational dives. If the computer fails (unprobable?), he reverts back to the tables. He feels that any extra time the cx afforded by moving to shallower depths will be made up for by reverting back to the original tables calculated at max depth.

Here's the problem as I see it. At any given point in the dive, he knows where he's at in relation to what a piece of equipment is telling him. If that piece of equip gets damaged or fails, then he is in the dark as to what his real deco schedule needs to be.

Am I over anal in thinking this is too much what if and switching to manual reversion? I like to keep it simple and know what my stops are going to be and then make those stops. I have a hard time thinking, OK, now the cx wants a 50' stop, but my tables didn't have a 50' stop.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm looking for some input. He is a great diver, and I thought the same as him until I had logged several deco dives.

I run a set of tables with a five and ten minute overrun, and then dive my computer... I plan to leave at my intended time, using the deco sched my comp gives me. if the computer craps out, I use the tables. even if I get into trouble and stay over a few minutes, then my computer craps out, I still have a set of tables for the over time. This way I will always have tables that are MORE conservative then my computer.

I have a VR3 that I like to use on Trimix dives. I use Proplanner to plane the dive and some other software that picks up on Isobaric counterdiffusion problems, in fact the same software used to plan the successful dive to 313m without the diver coming up with DCS problems.

I do not use the computer as my primary however I use tables. The VR3 has the problem of not being able to select 1 m deep stops and so when I am in the ascent if I follow the computer I have to stay below the other divers unless they specially add time to the deep stops.

What the computer is good for is if you have had to abort a dive and instead of doing the full decompression from the tables use the computer to give you yor abbreviated deco schedule.

I used this on my last deep dive when my buddy had some problems and called the dive. We saved about 30 minuted of hanging around by following the computer and giving a bit of extra time on the last stop.

If you are using the computer then stay within the tables you have generated i.e. don't exceed the bottom time otherwise there is no backup if the computer goes down, and they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom